Outage - Server issue ONGOING - Dev team investigating

Comments

• OnesimusixOnesimusix Member Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment
    I’ve had 5 drop outs in the last hour. It’s been happening for quite a while now. I thought perhaps my v1 Fing box was dying. Finally found this forum. To the admins: you should make a comment on your Twitter or something. I have been troubleshooting this for weeks and it would have been appreciated if things had been acknowledged more publicly.
    blenderbender
  • AustinJerryAustinJerry Member Posts: 98
    25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    I had three offline/online events overnight, plus the FB had a pulsing orange light this morning.  It turned blue almost immediately after I started using the internet.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
  • Bill_OHBill_OH Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic
    The fing keeps going offline and online.

8:59 am

Fingbox F0:23:B9:EB:53:39 has changed status.

9:96 am

Your Fingbox 'Asahi' is back online

Fingbox F0:23:B9:EB:53:39 has changed status.

• Mrite461Mrite461 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic

I’m still having the same issue. Not as often as before but still a minimum of 1-2 times a day since I plugged back in. I went with what a couple of the other members said that it was better to have some security than nothing at all. The FB stays blue.

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,168
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thank you all once again for your feedback and patience to date. We have consulted with our engineering team and they have confirmed that we have added additional automated memory & thread snapshots when the machine starts misbehaving. By doing this we can get a better instant picture, which allows us to analyze things at the time they start to occur.
    This automation is specifically aimed at retrieving as much information as possible on the triggering causes at the time of impact. This is an experimental mechanism to see if it can produce something that we don’t already know (and hopefully will help towards a resolve)
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rootedKrBMarcFingCatLordErnieBernieSRP
  • DalekDalek Member Posts: 58
    25 Agrees 10 Comments 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    ✭✭✭

@Ciaran Thanks for keeping us informed of what actions your team is taking. We all hope a cause becomes evident soon so a fix can be implemented. I would like to be able to plug my FB back in knowing it is functioning as designed and helping to protect my network.

For those FB owners who are not following this thread it would be helpful if Fing included a notice in the Friday emails from @AriannaRomano letting them know that offline/online episodes are a known problem with Fing servers and not their individual Fingbox and that the Fing team is actively working toward a resolution. A previous post indicated a FB owner spent considerable time troubleshooting his network and Fingbox before finally finding this thread. I’m sure there are others in the same boat who may not be community members and would appreciate such a notice.

OnesimusixpcsasdErnieBernieSRPblenderbender
    admin
    Hi @Dalek, thanks for the suggestion. Coincidentally, Arianna is sending out a Community Digest Mailer today & we have requested that this topic be included. This will be sent today. This is based on both yours and other users suggestions on this thread. Thanks again
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    SRPErnieBernieOlivierGKrBMarcDalek
  • creaturecreature Member Posts: 1
    Bill_OH said:

{9:96 am}

Your Fingbox 'Asahi' is back online

Good to see a little April 1st humour squeezed in to lighten the mood.

9am with attitude.  B)

• ErnieBernieErnieBernie SwedenMember Posts: 40
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭

Hi @Ciaran Thanks so much for the regular updates and action taken on the FB problems. This is much appreciated. Hopefully it will be solved soon. Happy Easter 🐣

Ciaran
  • ShrekShrek Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5

Both of my Fing boxes cycle on and off. I thought my original box stopped after about 5 hrs of "no cycling", but it didn't stop... both cycle online / offline multiple times per day.

admin

Leading on from yesterday’s update, our Engineering team have confirmed that they have implemented a system whereby when an issue occurs again, a safe restart of the affected shard will occur. In order to stabalize the connection we have found that full restart of the entire server is required.

With this experimental method we have reduced the critical state of the shard to about 20 min and, at the same time, reduced a little the amount of Fingbox's affected. Whilst I appreciate that this is not the solution update you (and also me) would all ideally like, I do want to keep you all informed of efforts made/in progress.

Also, to advise, Support will be off from this evening until Tuesday morning 09:00 CET. When I get a chance, I will do my utmost to check in over the weekend, however, most likely I will not have any specific updates regarding the issue. I hope you all have a nice weekend, and for those of you that celebrate Easter, have a nice Easter. Thank you

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    KrBMarcrootedFingCatLordSRP
  • bjbeierbjbeier Member Posts: 1

I was beginning to wonder what was going on with my Fingbox. I was just about to disconnect it thinking it was dying. Glad to see the team is working on resolving!

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 863
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you and your family has a great Easter @Ciaran and thanks for the update.

FingCatLordCiaran
  • FingCatLordFingCatLord Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the update, really do appreciate you guys keep working the issue, we will get there hopefully soon. Have a great weekend all!

Vicious Cat Tax!

rootedMarcCiaran
    ✭✭✭

Hello @Ciaran Does the Community Digest Mailer get sent via email to all Fingbox owners? The reason I am asking is because the only emails I get from @AriannaRomano are her “Fing News - What’s new on Fing” which arrive on Fridays. I have never received a Community Digest Mailer via email, including the one you say would be sent yesterday Thursday, April 1.

Who are these sent to?

How are they sent?

FingCatLord
  • OU812OU812 Member Posts: 63
    25 Agrees 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Not updating again for past 25 minutes
  • ThatPersonThatPerson Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Finally an explanation!
    - Uninstalled the Fing Desktop software mid-month while relying solely on the Fing phone app,
    - switched out the Fingbox included ethernet cable for an old one found in a shoebox,
    - since March 5th, having received 125 "Your Fingbox 'my-name-FingBox' is back online" messages & their preceding 125 "Your Fingbox 'my-name-FingBox' is offline" messages, this thread was found.

It has been a stressful month as the messages appeared while I was both home & away with little logic to accompany them.

Hopefully financing can accommodate the requisite server loads & she's offline & pulsing orange again.
  • WimWim Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic

Daily lunch dip of the Fing box connection

• yurykyuryk Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've been getting one at 31 minutes past the hour telling me that my FB is offline and then another one a minute later telling me that it is back. Why can't Find release an update that would allow me to suppress just those messages for now? This is extremely annoying to say the least....
    ✭✭✭

@yuryk There are many other FB owners who are just as annoyed, frustrated, disgusted, call it what you will, with the incessant offline/online alerts that have plagued them for a long time now.

Here are a couple of suggestions that may work for you.

1. Turn off notifications for your FB during one of the times it is online. This may or may not work. I had trouble using this method since the alerts kept on coming.
    2. Take your FB completely offline by disconnecting its power source and Ethernet cable. This is the most radical solution but it will stop the alerts. It will also stop your FB from providing whatever protection and legitimate alerts it was providing.

I have implemented number 2 when number 1 didn’t work for me. My FB will remain disconnected until the Fing support team finds the cause of our woes and implements a proven, tested fix. I hope this helps.

yurykhopkins35

Thanks @Dalek !

unfortunately implementing any of your recommendations would defeat the purpose of having the Fing box to begin with… I still think it would be relatively trivial for the company to disable a very specific type of alert until the root cause is addressed.

✭✭✭

@yuryk I agree my suggestions negate some or all the functionality of the Fingbox. Your suggestion may not and I hope the Fing engineers implement it.

• reygio349reygio349 Member Posts: 36
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭

I thought the issue has been fix but the fingbox going offline again several times in a day is up again . This is very frustrating and Fing looks like they can't fix this problem.

What a shame !

• hopkins35hopkins35 Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    edited April 5
    reygio349 said:

I thought the issue has been fix

They don't know the cause let alone the solution despite this starting at least two if not three months ago! I admire the patience and faith many of you have shown but I unplugged mine three weeks ago with no plans to resurrect it even if it gets fixed, I'm keeping an eye here just to see what the damage really is

yurykDalek

I’m really surprised that the company is not treating this situation as a CritSit!

seems that the issue is being CASUALLY looked at, and judging by infrequent updates, and the luck of comments in this thread from the company, don’t think they consider us worthy of the effort - we already spent our money with them…

Dalekhopkins35ABthree
    ✭✭✭

I’m with you on this one @hopkins35 , my FB has been unplugged for weeks, but I will plug it back in if and only if Fing officially notifies FB owners that they have identified the cause and implemented a tested fix for the offline/online alerts we have been suffering through for far too long.

@yuryk It certainly looks like Fing and their Lansweeper owners are NOT treating this seriously by letting it drag on for months. Case in point is the lack of communication from Fing until this community pretty much demanded it. Unfortunately they still haven’t made an official public statement notifying FB owners that the issue is with Fing servers and not individual Fingbox hardware. In addition Fing relies on posts to this community for its support system in the hopes that a FB owner like you and me will provide a solution to an issue. Further, they only monitor their support system/community posts during working hours CET, not 24/7. All of this coupled with their apparent inability to resolve the offline/online alerts issue supports your comment of how they view FB owners as only a source of cash not worthy of any effort on their part. I truly hope this is not the case and that we will soon see a permanent resolution from Fing.

• hopkins35hopkins35 Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    @Dalek I no longer have any faith in them as a company to be a trusted part of my network, they have failed in every aspect of supporting this issue not least communication. I would go so far as to question their technical qualifications to support such a product. As for the "updates", I don't work in IT security or web services but I do work in tech and have heard enough techies pulling woolly jumpers over the eyes of customers and managers to get a feeling about when I'm being fobbed off
  • WimWim Member, Beta Tester Posts: 16
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic

Removing the message is not a solution. You better reroute these specific messages to a spam box. The offline messages were very useful to detect power problems when not at home.

My fb is disconnected. I will pause my membership payments also. It is a disgrace how you handle this problem.

Unfortunately I can’t reroute a push notification! I was not suggesting removing the message permanently - simply disabling those for the duration of the troubleshooting. Besides, fully disconnecting FB is not doing anything to help the issue…

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,097
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin

Hi All,

I hope you all had a nice weekend/easter. Just to update everyone, as Ciaran stated in his last response, our developers are continuing with that experimental method performing automation. We are retrieving as much information as possible to understand and find any new information. As soon as there is further progress on the same, we will update you directly. 
    Thanks for your patience.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!