Fing is wiping out custom info and has stopped recognizing my own devices and blocks them

krfessl16028
krfessl16028 Member Posts: 2
First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
Crazy behavior which has cost me hours and hours of time, reentering data and resetting notifications, as Fing appears to have reset them also.... Any ideas what’s going on?    I’m an early fing user so I have a lot of devices !

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @krfessl16028

In order to retain all the networks and device customizations saved, please make sure you are signed in to Fing App.

Also, I would like you to make sure that you have enabled all permissions required for the Fing app to operate. Please go to phone settings and set location permissions so Fing App is able to read the SSID correctly. And also, please make sure that other required permissions for Fing app are enabled as well and then open Fing App and run a scan to see the changes.

With new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic).

I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.

1) Open Fing App and Click on the Fingbox/Network name from the top.

2) Go to "Network" tab and click on "Edit" near the MAP icon

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address etc.

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

5) Click "Save"

Please log out of the application and then log in again.

If you are using Fing app on an apple device please refer to this article as well: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • krfessl16028
    krfessl16028 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic

Thanks... I will get on it, and update this convo.

btw, this happens intermittently... for the last few updates it seems... what also seems odd is, if I use edit/save in the app (iPad and iPhone) for a name change you are telling me it doesn’t really get saved? I recently added TP-link plug-in modules for outlets. Fing sees them but, just the other day they were all reset to factory names, and my office TV which has coexisted with Fing just fine for a couple of years just popped-up with a device attempt to join my NW? Huh? The infrastructure had to be working with the right access controls - until it wasn’t