POLL - Add all windows server versions to the OS choices

Diverking
Diverking Heerhugowaard, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 52
10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
When I change the OS I like to choose the several Windows Server versions as well (Standard, DataCenter, Hyper-V) 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2019 (and R2's as well)

POLL - Add all windows server versions to the OS choices 5 votes

Yes, add them to the list
80% 4 votes
No, not interested
20% 1 vote

Comments

• Rodger
    Rodger Member Posts: 8
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    This is ready a question about the company mission.  About focus on core markets and core market needs vs. getting distracted.  A slippery slope to start sliding down if Fing is not careful.

The facts here are that there is almost zero need for a home network residential network manager to maintain a Windows Server on their home network. Any real "server" need (what are you going to "serve" on a home network other than files?) can be adddressed for less than a hundred bucks by plugging in a big SSD drive into the USB port on the fancy router that most Fing customers already have.  And by comparison, with zero mgt. overhead to boot.

It's my opinion that this is an example of "a solution looking for a problem".

Oh, the question.  We run 2019, 2017 and 2016 R2  at our shop right now.  We want to start upgrading all instances (about 40 last count) next release.  We'll never install Fing there.  However, I will continue to use Fing at home though, as my network gets bigger and a bit more complicated all the time.  (In the last 3-4 months we've alled a fan and fan light devisce om porch ceiling, a garage door opener and (LOL) a water softner.)

A funny aside, I have as many, maybe more device tpes to keep trace of at home that we do at work.  I sure hope Fing's focus and investment in home networking mgt. faremwork will contnue.
  • Diverking
    Diverking Heerhugowaard, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited April 17, 2021 #3
    Well, I gues I am not the only IT enineer playing around @home with some Dell 720 (128 Gb) servers running several Minecraft minecraft servers for the kids and 2 triple Elastic clusters for getting my certifcations. How hard is it to add this to the OS database?