Fing will not open on desktop

tiincanada
tiincanada Member Posts: 10
Photogenic First Comment
Fing was running fine last night then stopped responding. It gave notice about internet connection. I ran trouble shoot from windows the dns it was trying to connect to was incorrect but there had been no changes on my end? Today it will not open at all
GwynRobster

Answers

• bwayned
    bwayned TexasMember Posts: 10
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I'll second this.. I'm also looking for a solution, but I have been experiencing this for months.. *SMH*..
    Robster
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi all,
    If you are using Windows, can you check under Task manager, and if the Fing agent service is running, Can you close it and then open the Fing desktop again? For mac, you have to do same thing under Activity monitor. Please share the screenshot of any error you are getting so I can investigate. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I just tried that and it didn't seem to make any difference. I ended the "Fing Agent Service (32-bit)" task from Task Manager, then tried to start the desktop app and I still see no UI. The Fing Agent service did open back up in Task Manager.
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Oh, and unless it's in a log somewhere, I didn't see any specific error on the screen.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    bwayned said:
    I just tried that and it didn't seem to make any difference. I ended the "Fing Agent Service (32-bit)" task from Task Manager, then tried to start the desktop app and I still see no UI. The Fing Agent service did open back up in Task Manager.
    Are you using multiple screens by nay chance? What kind of antivirus are you using? Can you reboot device and then open Fing desktop and then check again?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Not using multiple screens--just one screen on my laptop. I use Immunet for Anti-Virus. I'll reboot it and post back..
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    it seems to have me reinstall mine from my downloads each time i start my laptop? 

• bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Rebooted. Same thing; no change. When you click on the Start Menu icon/item for Fing, it changes the mouse momentarily to the  "Busy" mouse cursor, but then it changes right back to the pointer, when nothing happens.
    tiincanada
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    think i will just keep letting you answer as i am trying as well same results 
    bwayned
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    bwayned said:
    Rebooted. Same thing; no change. When you click on the Start Menu icon/item for Fing, it changes the mouse momentarily to the  "Busy" mouse cursor, but then it changes right back to the pointer, when nothing happens.
    As you mentioned Fing desktop does not even load. Can you please go to safe mode with networking and then try to open fing desktop and then check if the Fing desktop opens up or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment

• tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    does not seem to matter what i have tried, I have to re download it each and every time I start the computer.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    does not seem to matter what i have tried, I have to re download it each and every time I start the computer.

With the new version 2.4.1, we have replaced winPcap with NpCap. I would like you to follow these steps and the issue should be resolved.  

-> Uninstall WinpCap using Revo(if possible)  

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap:  

- Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disabled  
    - Uninstall Npcap  

-> Reboot your device to safe mode with networking  

->Download and install the new Fing desktop version and then open it.  

-> Reboot to normal mode and then check if it works for you.  

For Fing service not found, you need to run services.msc under run and then find the Fing agent service and then restart the service. It may be your antivirus or firewall is blocking the service.

I will be looking forward to your reply.   

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I just tried Safe Mode with Networking and got the same thing as before--no UI. The mouse cursor very briefley flickered to a 'busy' cursor, but quickly went back to a pointer, with nothing further. I tried that 3-4 times and got the same thing every time. I checked Task Manager and didn't see the Fing Agent. I don't know what difference Safe Mode makes there or what the expectation is/was.
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I know there are a lot of demands on people's time, but has there been any other movement on this? Or has it been resolved in some other thread? If so, where?
    datagod
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    bwayned said:
    I know there are a lot of demands on people's time, but has there been any other movement on this? Or has it been resolved in some other thread? If so, where?
    I have tried to replicate the issue but unable to do so. I might require more information from you to understand the root cause of the issue. Have you tried the steps I mentioned above involving safe mode with networking? Also, Have you tried disabling your antivirus and then installing Fing desktop? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    With respect, if you read back thru the comments, I did try what you recommended, but it did not uncover any issues or provide different results. I have not tried disabling AV and installing, but I can try that later and post the results.
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    Seems mine is a hacker issue. They have my real fing which i can not access and I am left with a fake that needs reloaded each time I start my computer. If there were not ip info I would post the pic and info I was given.
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    seems to be a non stop thing whether there are outages or not
    log6.txt 122.1K
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I got the notification about installing new Desktop version 2.5.1. Downloaded and installed it, but nothing. Same-ol' same-ol'.
    I understand that this seems to be a bit of a cryptic problem, but *ARE* you planning to fix it? Or even respond here?
    datagod
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @bwayned
    I have sent you a private mail to address your query so we can resolve this issue quickly. Once the issue is fixed then you can comment on the same post so everybody can know how it got fixed. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • bwayned
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thank you!
  • Grod55
    Grod55 Member Posts: 9
    Photogenic First Comment
    Was there any resolution to this issue? I am having the same issue (Fing Desktop doesn't load). I have uninstalled Fing and downloaded a fresh version, and still nothing. I can use the web app without issue, but the Desktop app doesn't load. I am running Windows 10 and have been using Fing since it first came out on Indiegogo in 2016. This is quite frustrating.
    datagod
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    not sure about the other they went to pm thought mine was a hacker but same problems after clean up. no resolutions here
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @Grod55
    I have sent you private message to address your query. Please reply to my message directly as I would log files and network information to isolate the issue. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Grod55
    Photogenic First Comment
    I was able to get Fing restored by issuing the following commands via command prompt (as Administrator)

sc stop Fing.Agent
    sc start Fing.Agent

• Grod55
    Photogenic First Comment
    Here is the list of items that Fing sent me to try to resolve the issue. The stop and start commands fixed the issue for me

Thank you for reaching out to Fing support.

If you are using Wireshark then please uninstall Wireshark as it also uses NpCap library which may create a compatibility issue with Fing desktop.

Can you try to reboot the windows device and then check? if restarting PC hasn't helped to resolve this behavior, these commands may be useful to windows (to launch from Command Prompt as administrator):

·        Stop service command: sc stop Fing.Agent

·        Start service command: sc start Fing.Agent

If this is unsuccessful, please check under Services.msc and restart the Fing agent service. Here is an external link on how to do that: https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-open-windows-services.html

If this is unsuccessful, it may the case that the Fing Agent service has not been installed correctly. Please follow these steps and the issue should be resolved. 

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap: 

- Uninstall Npcap

->Download and install new Fing desktop version and then open it. 

tiincanada
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    ty for your help. 
  • tiincanada
    Photogenic First Comment
    yup worked tyvm I am/was running wireshark and fing at the same time
  • Grod55
    Photogenic First Comment
    I was able to get Fing restored by issuing the following commands via command prompt (as Administrator)

sc stop Fing.Agent
    sc start Fing.Agent
    Below is the full list of items that Fing sent me to try. I am not running Wireshark, so the first suggestion did not apply to me.

Hope this helps others with this same issue.

G

If you are using Wireshark then please uninstall Wireshark as it also uses NpCap library which may create a compatibility issue with Fing desktop.

Can you try to reboot the windows device and then check? if restarting PC hasn't helped to resolve this behavior, these commands may be useful to windows (to launch from Command Prompt as administrator):

·        Stop service command: sc stop Fing.Agent

·        Start service command: sc start Fing.Agent

If this is unsuccessful, please check under Services.msc and restart the Fing agent service. Here is an external link on how to do that: https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-open-windows-services.html

If this is unsuccessful, it may the case that the Fing Agent service has not been installed correctly. Please follow these steps and the issue should be resolved. 

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap: 

- Uninstall Npcap

->Download and install new Fing desktop version and then open it.