I’m pretty new,

NetworkNoob
NetworkNoob OhioMember Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic

I’m new to the community but not the app. That being said I’m still a noob with the app. I’m a cross platform user all my devices return different scan results. I just recently found out I was paying Spectrum for WiFi which I think is absurd. I purchased a TP-Link wireless router and had Spectrum bring out a modem. I have one device connected with Ethernet. Any advice to get my devices able to communicate better would be appreciated.

Thank you for the help.

Tagged:

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @NetworkNoob
    Thanks for your post and Welcome to Fing community. Lets see what our well knowledgeable moderators advise. Any help @Pixel @Marc
    Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭

...Any advice to get my devices able to communicate better would be appreciated.

Hi, it’s certainly a good move to stop paying for Wi-Fi as your router should allow you to connect all of your Wi-Fi devices for “free” by using your Broadband service. Ethernet connections are best for stable connection when using demanding devices or apps but Wi-Fi connections will generally satisfy most situations where general web browsing & music streaming are concerned.
    You appear to have some connectivity issues if you would like to let us know any specific issues or requirements we will try to help further.
    👍🏼
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You might also find that if you live in a multi story dwelling or some other type of complex room arrangement , a single wireless router might not be able to give you a strong signal throughout your home. That’s when conversations about mesh networks, WiFi extenders etc comes into play. Like Pixel says, the more you can tell us, the better the advice we can give you.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    NetworkNoob
  • NetworkNoob
    First Comment Photogenic

I'm not having any more issues like I was since swapping out the Spectrum combo unit with a modem and using a tp-link wireless router. Spectrum technician was really friendly and professional, he moved the modem to my desk so I can run off ethernet. I am, however, getting an error in Fing Desktop App that I have slow network speed, it suggested I check my ethernet cable. it's just a cheap one, not sure where it came from, looks like the kind that come with the routers.

Thank you for the help.

• Danbergen
    Danbergen Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic

Most likely NOT your cable. Assuming your using a pc, open your browser and run an independent speed test from https://www.speedtest.net/. If slow, unplug modem, router and pc. Power up after one minute and try again If still slow call Spectrum. They can do quite a bit of diagnosis remotely. Make sure you hav no other devices on the network - Xbox phones Roku Chromecast tablets - that might be using bandwidth.

• NetworkNoob
    First Comment Photogenic

I'm getting 92.68 Mbps down and 11.80 Mbps up. I don't think it's running slow. What else could be triggering that error?

oh I think I know, as I'm typing I read the error again. either my computer or the router is Gigabit and the other is 100 Mbps.

How do I figure out what's the gigabit and see if I can update a driver or firmware?

Not sure if you can scan that. sorry I'm such a noob.

Thank you for the help.

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, scan the code (with your phone, if possible) & follow the instructions, this should produce a support link which will help raise a ticket for further help. Your download speed looks fine (what speed does your ISP say you should get?) the upload is slower than i would expect to see in this circumstance but still acceptable.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about Android but an iPhone with later iOS version has a QR scanner widget you can activate to scan the image and open the corresponding web site
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...