Why do some of my devices show being offline, when I can ping them without packet loss?

I have over 100 devices listed when I scan with fing desktop. A few are listed as "offline" and I know they are not, because I can ping them without packet loss. After that test, they are still listed as "offline" upon refresh of the list. Why is this happening? Thanks.

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited January 28
    I have over 100 devices listed when I scan with fing desktop. A few are listed as "offline" and I know they are not, because I can ping them without packet loss. After that test, they are still listed as "offline" upon refresh of the list. Why is this happening? Thanks.
    Have you checked on Fing mobile as well if they list as offline? Also, are they connected to same access point as the device on which you are running Fing desktop? If you have multiple access points then the devices could be connected to other access point showing offline on Fing desktop.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Elliott32224Elliott32224 Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you for your response. The device was offline briefly on my phone app. I've been using the phone app for several years; the desktop program for about 1 year; and the premium desktop for about 1 week. Tonight, I was blasted with an email notification from the desktop app: "New Devices on your Network... Devices seen for the first time since the previous scan.." The list was very long and included my router, which I don't think was ever offline (or it would have been quite obvious to me). So, I don't know what fing is finding and I am not going to pay attention to what fing thinks is offline or new online. My setup by the way is Netgear Nighthawk C7100V for Comcast (internet, cable TV, and telephone). I have set up pfSense on a computer with a different subnet from the Netgear Nighthawk. This computer is connected via ethernet cable to the Nighthawk. I have a Netgear Orbi primary access point with 2 satellites around my house. The Orbi connects by cable to the pfSense computer, which provides DHCP, OpenVPN, and ad-blocking for the house. 
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,206
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Elliott32224
    We have had reports of device misidentification with pfsense. I believe this could be the reason for false positive. You can verify this by disabling pfsense and then use Fing app or Fing desktop.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Elliott32224Elliott32224 Member Posts: 4
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you. As long as I know that it could be pfSense causing the problem, I can live with that. I don't want to disable pfSense to find out, because that will be a problem for my network. Elliott