Connecting Several FingBoxes to VLAN'ed Network

gdreelin
gdreelin Member Posts: 4
Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
edited February 8, 2021 in Fingbox #1
I know you have to have a Fingbox per network which I got in place. I have a Ubiquiti Unifi network broken into three SSIDs and three networks (LAN (32.0), VLAN2 (20.0), VLAN3 (30.0)). The SSID's are set for each LAN so they all have separation from each other.  I set each FingBox in the Ubiquiti UDM Pro to set a fixed address for each one for the network they are in (i.e. 32.100, 20.100, 30.100). I put the first Fingbox on the LAN without any issues using the phone app to set it up since my phone is mainly attached to that network. The second was a bit of a challenge but I connected to that VLAN2 Wifi SSID and added it to that network which seemed to work since I can see it now while connect to the main LAN using the "change" icon. Now the third one is a V1 version of FingBox and it would not add no matter how many times I tried to add it. Now these FingBox's are attached to a switch with the ports setup to only see the network they are on, however every time I do that I can't see the FingBox anymore. Now the last network has no internet access which is what I am thinking the cause is since it is used for IoT devices that do not have to connect the internet. Now for some reason LAN devices are showing up in VLAN2 and visa versa not sure how that can be if the Fingbox can only see one network. Any help would be appreciated .

Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,666
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @gdreelin, lets call this to the attention of the Fing admins and see if they can help you out.  @Robin or @Ciaran, any reason why a V1 should have this issue versus a v2 Fingbox?  Could there be a configuration issue with the v1 versus the v2?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    @gdreelin
    As you mentioned the last network has no internet access, in this case, Fingbox will not be able to connect to its cloud servers and thus will not be able to activate. The internet connection needs to be working.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • gdreelin
    @Robin thanks for the information. I thought that was the issue with that one so I will have to put a rule in the firewall for that one. Now the V2 ones seem to be cross talking each other. They are on separate SSIDs and networks but for some reason I am getting devices from one on the other and visa versa.  If they are on different SSID's and VLAN would they be separate?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @gdreelin
    First, you need to check if any of your access points are not added to your other Fingbox. Please follow these steps to check the BSSID(Access Points):  
    1. Open the Fing App and select Fingbox network 
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    4. You will be able to see the BSSID.   
     Also, you need to check if network gateway for both networks is same or different. If both networks are sharing same network gateway then this kind of issue is common.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • gdreelin
    @Robin Yes both gateways are different on each LAN one is 32.1 and other is 20.1.  As for the BSSID it is showing both are on the same two access points MAC addresses but the Fingboxes are hardwired why would that really matter?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    gdreelin said:
    @Robin Yes both gateways are different on each LAN one is 32.1 and other is 20.1.  As for the BSSID it is showing both are on the same two access points MAC addresses but the Fingboxes are hardwired why would that really matter?
    I am not sure what could be the issue as I can't replicate the issue. If the network gateway is not interfering with each other then FIngbox should work correctly. I will seek further advice on this from developers and as soon as there is an update, I will let you know. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • gdreelin
    Ok thanks for letting me know.
  • RWild
    RWild Member Posts: 60
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Since this thread seems to have run down, I'd like to tag on to ask @gdreelin some related questions.

I am beating my self silly trying to get VLANs (1) working, and (2) see them in my Fingbox apps. I have a rather large home/office network that includes a Cisco RV340W wireless router; a mixture of Linksys LGS308 and LGS318 Smart Switches; a couple of Enterprise class HP Workstations (Z820, Z840), each with eight NIC ports; and assorted other devices, many of museum quality.

I was hoping you could give me advice about the physical connections your are using to attach a fingbox network to a VLAN. Right now, I am working with the HP Z840 and Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility to configure NIC ports on a 4-port I350-t adapter to create VLAN10 and VAN20 on the last two ports (#3, #4) and leave ports #1 and #2 alone. 

I have VLAN10 and VLAN11 on Ports GE1 and GE2, respectively, of both the LGS308 switches and Ports GE8 on each switch connected to LAN1 and LAN2 on the RV340W. Right now , all ports on the LGS308 switches also see VLAN1, regardless of other settings. I am having some trouble maintaining access to the LGS308s via IP addresses to edit settings. At present, all I can see in Fing is stuff in VLAN1. This may be because I can't edit those LGS308 settings. Nevertheless, where should I attach a second Fingbox V2 to see VLAN 10 or VLAN11, once I get them through?

TIA