Speed Test Differences

MartynK
MartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 52
10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Anniversary
✭✭
When I run a speed test from my Window 10 desktop using the Speedtest.net app, both upload and download speeds are up around the 980mb which is correct as I have a 1gb fibre.
When I look at the speed test results from my Fingbox, it seems to be less than half what is available.
Both PC and Fingbox are plugged in to the same switch so network wise should not be any diffrence.
Whats going wrong here or what is not setup correctly ?
Thanks

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,660
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2021 #2
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_FingSRP
  • Tazkika
    Tazkika Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    Second Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    edited February 10, 2021 #3
    On a similar note: when i test the speed with my Win10Desktop app and with my /android mobile apps, the speed on my mobiles is half that of my desktop app.... my desktop app is quite close to what i have with speedtest.net and fast.com. Any ideas?
    My desktop is wired, my mobiles are (obviously) wireless, all devices on same network/provider
  • MartynK
    MartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 52
    10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    @Marc I have run all the tests and they are certainly different, all run from the same PC.
    So MLABs via a web browser.

Ookla via a web browser.

Ookla via their Windows 10 App.

As we can see, choose your tool, get different results on a 1GB fibre broadband.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave it a shot, keep in mind I am only paying for 100mbps service and my results were as follows...  Apparently the most inconsistent was the macOS app...  I guess there are so many variables in a speed test to what your system is caching (Ever see a speed test get better as you run them?) to which server you're hitting on each and even to which path your system is taking to congestion in your area when you run it.  

• Beantown
    Beantown Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I have also noticed that a speedtest from my Fingbox app or from the Fingbox itself (which is connected via Ethernet to my router) produces much slower results then I get when running a speed check via my router’s software (Orbi from netgear), from my internet provider (xfinity) or my iPhone over Wi-Fi using speedtest app.  Is there a fix?
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Beantown, Fing uses mLabs as their testing provider.  Next time you run a Speedtest from Fing, also run one from mLabs and see if they match.  https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/
  • Beantown
    Beantown Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Fingbox App has three speed checks as far as I can see:

1. Wi-Fi performance off of network tab - this usually gives a slower speed result then a standard speedtest check or Mlabs websitE.
    2. Test Speed on main page selecting from Fingbox - slower again then speedtest check or Mlabs website
    3. Test Speed on main page selecting from device - this gives a faster result same (I think) as Mlabs and similar to speedtest check

Why is a speedtest from 1 and 2 so much slower? Especially test from Fingbox that is connected via Ethernet to router I think would be fastest.