BSSID is not my SSID??

Sweetlee
Sweetlee AdelaideMember Posts: 5
Photogenic First Comment
Recently have had a large number of SSID’s pop up as wifi points and I’ve had my devices behaving strangely (pw resets, device system changes etc) so I tried to hunt a little further. Connecting to my 2.5 SSID I ran a network diagnostic that have me the list of available wifi points, including the bssid. On my other laptop again connected to my ssid I did the following in command prompt after googling how to check Mac/ip addresses... I pinged 192.168.0.255 then entered arp -a, the physical address it said I was connected to was the bssid for an SSID in the network diagnostics report on the other laptop that I don’t know. 
Adding photos. 

Greatly appreciate any help provided 🙏

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,658
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you tell us a little about your Network set up?  How many access points, brand etc?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    jjrice2233
  • Sweetlee
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hmm now your testing me, thank you for replying
     I’ve got cable by Telstra, modem is a Technicolor DJA0231 (2017SAENT)and the black nbn box is an arris d3.1. 
    physical access points? Just one. 
    I know I’ve got 2.5ghz and 5ghz and these are the 2 SSIDs I see, each have a guest network that’s disabled. I did notice something which looked similar, I think I’m WAN settings maybe.. they were disabled. 
    My 2.5 and 5 were broadcasting as the one name at one stage and my modem settings regularly are changed, but it’s just me here. 
    Did you see the photos I added in the post? 
    Does that help?? 
    Thank you really appreciate your help
    jjrice2233
  • Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 173
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the first picture, it shows where you pinged 192.168.0.255, and received "Request timed out.", which would be expected. Not sure why you pinged 192.168.0.255. The ".255" of any network is a special address. It is called the "broadcast address". Although it is a valid IP address, typically ".255" is not assigned to any device. The "broadcast address" is used to transmit to all devices on a network. As 192.168.0.255 is not on the network you are currently on (192.168.20.1), curious as to why you pinged it.

The next part shows where you did an "arp -a". "Interface 192.168.20.5" would be the IP address assigned to your laptop. "192.168.20.1" and "D6-35-1D-12-02-57" would be the IP address and MAC address of the router, or wifi access point you are connected to. "192.168.20.255" and "FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF" are the IP and MAC addresses of the "broadcast address". The "224.0.0.X" and corresponding MAC addresses are special "multicast addresses". "239.255.255.250" is the "Simple Service Discovery Protocol" address. "255.255.255.255" and "FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF" is a specially designated "broadcast address". It works the same as the broadcast address for the network you are currently on. In this case, 192.168.20.255 is the broadcast address for your network 192.168.20.1. Overall, it looks like a normal "arp -a" on a Windows computer. However, it appears your laptop and router are the only devices connected.

The second picture appears to be a list of wifi access points near your location/laptop. From the first picture, your laptop is connected to 192.168.20.1, with the MAC address of D6-35-1D-12-02-57. Looking at the list in the second picture, D6-35-1D-12-02-57 has a signal strength of -66, is on frequency 5500000 (Channel 100), and has the SSID of TelstraA5AD23-5G-5G. So, it would appear your laptop is connected to SSID TelstraA5AD23-5G-5G. Since you didn't mention which BSSID and SSID your network is using, we don't know if it is correct. Looking at Telstra's web site, they have something called "Telstra Air" and "Fon". Telstra Air appears to be a network of wifi hotspots, including "Fon" - 5G. It seems if you have Telstra Internet service, the provided router/modem can have a Telstra Air wifi hotspot "built-in". It's not supposed to affect your home wifi/service. However, it seems most of the Telstra Air hotspots are "open" - not encrypted - "Like most public Wi-Fi networks, Telstra Air is an unencrypted and open network. We don’t recommend using it for things like internet banking or sending and receiving sensitive materials." It is possible you connected to a Telstra Air hotspot.

From the SSID name, TelstraA5AD23-5G-5G, it would seem you are connected to the 5GHz wifi on a "5G" cellular network. That is just a guess, though. I would expect the "A5AD23" to be the last six of the SSID, but they do not match (D6-35-1D-12-02-57 does not match A5-AD-23). Also, MAC addresses beginning with "X6", where the "X" is any hexadecimal number, are considered "locally administered" MAC addresses. Locally administered MAC addresses can be used to overwrite the "burned-in" MAC address, or used to create virtual MAC addresses. So, I guess the SSID is a virtual MAC. Not sure why, though. Could be using virtual MACs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi access points, and the "regular" MAC to connect to the 5G cellular network.

Which BSSID/SSID are yours?

jjrice2233
  • Sweetlee
    Photogenic First Comment
    Hi, thanks so much for replying. 
    My SSID is Telstra0c627f and Telstra0c627f-5g, I suspect someone’s hacked my network hence why it shows I’m connected to the SSID you mentioned. 

jjrice2233