what does Fingbox do?

jrJ4355329
jrJ4355329 Member Posts: 12
First Comment Photogenic
edited January 20, 2021 in Fingbox #1
just got my new fingbow and I am most certainly not imperessed. I can't see that it does anything and the manual doesn't even seem to go with the app. Examples:
   manual says there are three tabs: devices-network-people
    I see home-community-account
if i click on the location arrow at the top i see: devices-network-internet-people-notifications Where are the instructions that go with the app?
I also found a place where it will sugget internet providers. It shows only providers in Illinois. What good does that do me-I don't live in Illinois,.
All the app seems to do is request me to spend more $ to upgrade. I'VE ALREADY SPENT MORE THAN $100 and can't make any sense of the instructions. I'm sure not going to spend more until this makes sense. Where do I find instructions that match the fingbox and the app and hopefully find out that it does do something after all?

Answers

• jrJ4355329
    First Comment Photogenic
    Now from what i'VE read  it appears fingbox won't even notify about intruders or new devices. Is this true? If so, I will be returning the thing. For$100 it doesn't appear to do anything at all!
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @jrJ4355329
    To view update articles on how to use Fingbox, please refer to our Knowledge base: https://help.fing.com/article-categories/fingbox/
    Also, To address your query: "Now from what i'VE read  it appears fingbox won't even notify about intruders or new devices."
    Thats untrue. Fingbox does continuous monitoring of your network and will alert you about any new devices connecting to your network and if you have enabled Automatic Block New Device then it will block them unless you allow them.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • jrJ4355329
    First Comment Photogenic
    Also the app insists i'm in Bloomington, Illinois and won't show me the internet providers where I do live=Bloomington, MN. When I try to change this, my only choices are cities in Illinois. HOW DO I FIX THIS?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Also the app insists i'm in Bloomington, Illinois and won't show me the internet providers where I do live=Bloomington, MN. When I try to change this, my only choices are cities in Illinois. HOW DO I FIX THIS?
    Please refer to this article if correct timezone is not set: https://finghelp.wpengine.com/knowledge-base/time-zone-change-via-web-app/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • jrJ4355329
    First Comment Photogenic
    I don't think y9u even read my message. The correct TIME ZONE IS SET. The choice I have to get the right time zone is America/Chicago. Surely you understand that since I have to pick that to get the correct time zone for Minneapolis that you should assume that I live in Illinois and limit the information to that area.
    That's ridiculous.. Its not so bad to have to pick a city other than where I live to get the time zone correct. But to then assume that other data should be limited to that area is ridiculous. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Please let me know when I can expect it to be fixed so  that, if it is not going to be fixed, I can return my fingbox and get something that is useful for areas other than you have apparently chosen to support. Phooey!
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Apologies @jrJ4355329 if there was any miscommunication. If your Time zone is correct then only thing you can do is to make sure location permissions are enabled.  I would like you to follow these steps and location permissions pop up will appear to be enabled.

1) Open Fing App and Click on the Fingbox/Network name from the top.

2) Go to "Network" tab and click on "Edit" near the MAP icon

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address etc.

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.

5) Click "Save"

Please log out of the application and then log in again. After that check if correct location is identified or not. 

Also, The Fingbox Internet Speed Test is provided by our partner, Measurement Lab. M-Lab is one of the most trusted independent labs for network measurement, backed by academic institutions and used by Google and other large Internet companies.

Given the different location of test servers and their unique methodology, M-Lab test results may differ from other commercial services. M-Lab servers are located in the most important exchange nodes of the global Internet, you can see the test locations here.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • jrJ4355329
    First Comment Photogenic
    Ok it now has my location. But it still insists my internet provider is in Chicago and shows only providers in Illinois when looking to compare providers.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Ok it now has my location. But it still insists my internet provider is in Chicago and shows only providers in Illinois when looking to compare providers.
    If both of your Time zone and location permissions are set correctly then it could be the M-labs servers automatically picking up the location of ISP. Unfortunately, there is no way to change that.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)