Why is my phone showing up as logged on network, while WiFi is disabled?

Wamparythm
Wamparythm Member Posts: 34
10 Comments Photogenic
edited January 18, 2021 in Network Infrastructure #1
I logged on to Fing and saw my Galaxy S7 was online. Wired, I thought I disabled WiFi and there is no cell service. I just use it at home. Checked my phone and WiFi is disabled. I took screenshots. Also noticed Bonjour updates. I have no apple software on my phone. Why is bonjour updating my phone, through my network?
Sorry about blurry pic. I was in a hurry to take it before it logged off.
Security is a false state of reality

Best Answers

Answers

• Wamparythm
    10 Comments Photogenic
    This is the 3rd or 4th question I have asked today. I appreciate all the help. Something is not right with my network. Every time I scan the network something is off or changed. I have had devices with multiple iPad addresses. Mac addresses will be available one scan and not the next. Devices are labeled as each other... I’m not sure if there is a problem, or if Fing is just twitchy. I am not sure what to do or how to ask for help to get to the root of problem. I have screenshots of scans, network logs, port scans...
    Please advise.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Wamparythm
    Can you share the screenshot of the device page so I can guide you? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Wamparythm
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Here is the only screenshot I could locate.I am 100% sure there were more.
  • Wamparythm
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Robin
    i just got an email alert from Fing. About my S7, which is not turned on. It is an old phone I use at home sometimes . It has also been powered off since yesterday.
  • NetNoob63
    NetNoob63 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment

I’m having the same kind of troubles. Each scan is different, sometimes with unknown conection’s sometimes it can’t recognize MAC address that it usually knows.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi all,
    We recently found out that there is a minor issue within the App that is mixing the source of information across discovery rounds. This cause devices to be correctly identified on the first scan round (until 50% of the scan), but then something goes wrong with the detection of devices from the ARP table and the app fallback to IP only ARP entries mapped over the Fake MAC address: 02:00:00:00:00:00
    This MAC address creates a new Node in the network and all the detected IPs are collapsed on it.
    This issue affects Android 10 and Android 11 only, we detected it only on Samsung devices but it may happen on others too, and it’s due to some new limitations introduced by Google. We fixed the problem already and we will release a new version of the app shortly to resolve this.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    NetNoob63
  • Wamparythm
    10 Comments Photogenic
    My Samsung device is on Android 8.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks for the post.
    Any advice @Marc @Pixel
    Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For Bonjour, Android includes it by default and is used for a number of its products for name and device address resolution. I supposed it lets Android play in an Apple ecosystem and vice versa.  Nothing to be concerned about.  As for the radio still being available when WiFi is turned off that I'm not sure.  Have you tried putting the phone in airplane mode to see if it falls off Fing's radar?  

My only analogy is that in later Apple iOS versions, simply turning off WiFi by default only stops it but does not disable it.  I wonder if Android does the same?  Android folks, please chime in here....
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Wamparythm
    10 Comments Photogenic
    edited January 18, 2021 #14
    Thanks for the response.
    I’m not sure, but it happens regularly and not just my Galaxy. It even happens when devices are powered off.
  • Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Robin this looks like the same as the issue described in ( https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/24155#Comment_ https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/24155#Comment_24155 ). Is there still an ARP scanning issue with Android?
  • Wamparythm
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I’m not sure, but it happens with, Desktop PC(Windows 10), iPad(iOS 14.3), Galaxy(Android8), Pixel(Android10).
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Pixel said:
    Hi @Robin this looks like the same as the issue described in ( https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/24155#Comment_ https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/24155#Comment_24155 ). Is there still an ARP scanning issue with Android?
    For Android devices we were facing some scan issues and thus we are releasing a new version with fixes. It should be available within this week. With new version, we can check if some scanning issues are still present and I can collect feedback and present it to developers. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Marc
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Pixel said:
    Both posts are by the same user. If you think it should be merged together then I can merge it. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Wamparythm
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Sorry about that I didn’t realize I had already asked that question.
  • Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Robin yes, merge the posts please. 👍🏼