Fing desktop mysteriously stops working

apos111
apos111 Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
Hello, I have come across a pretty consistent issue with the desktop app. I have been a premium user for the last couple of months and this is an issue that has been happening since day 1 that I started using the app (Im now on v2.4.1). Basically the program quietly stop monitoring, sending notifications so emails stop, no alarms are generated etc. When I logon to the desktop app the checks bar gets stuck and never completes (e.g. 22 checks completed, 5 remaining or something like that). I have fixed this at least 5-6 times since Nov. The fix is  to either re-install the desktop app, or go to Windows services.msc and restart the Fing agent (stopping it may produce an error but it does stop eventually). My setup is pretty much vanilla, it's a Windows 10 virtual machine which runs nothing else but the Fing Desktop. So using as an always-on server pretty much.... Any idea why this may be happening, and whether there's a permanent fix for this issue? Thank you! 
Tagged:

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,026
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @apos111, I am tagging @Robin and @Ciaran from Fing to see if they can help you out.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Big_Al12
    Big_Al12 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    I have a similar issue; FING desktop starts fine and works the first day showing notifications and devices.  The second day it launches but no notifications and device list is gone?  I reboot modem and router daily, that is why i get notifications daily if it works.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,026
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Big_Al12 , are you also running it within a vm?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Big_Al12

No, just Windows 10 2H20

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Big_Al12 said:
    I have a similar issue; FING desktop starts fine and works the first day showing notifications and devices.  The second day it launches but no notifications and device list is gone?  I reboot modem and router daily, that is why i get notifications daily if it works.
    Can you share screenshot of the error so I can guide you?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    apos111 said:
    Hello, I have come across a pretty consistent issue with the desktop app. I have been a premium user for the last couple of months and this is an issue that has been happening since day 1 that I started using the app (Im now on v2.4.1). Basically the program quietly stop monitoring, sending notifications so emails stop, no alarms are generated etc. When I logon to the desktop app the checks bar gets stuck and never completes (e.g. 22 checks completed, 5 remaining or something like that). I have fixed this at least 5-6 times since Nov. The fix is  to either re-install the desktop app, or go to Windows services.msc and restart the Fing agent (stopping it may produce an error but it does stop eventually). My setup is pretty much vanilla, it's a Windows 10 virtual machine which runs nothing else but the Fing Desktop. So using as an always-on server pretty much.... Any idea why this may be happening, and whether there's a permanent fix for this issue? Thank you! 
    Does it work if you don't enable the Virtual machine?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Big_Al12
    There is no screen shot to share.  The device list shows a complete blank page when the Fing desktop app stops on day 2.  It works fine after reboot for one day only.
  • apos111
    apos111 Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hi @Marc thanks for tagging the Fing guys. Hi @Robin: I don't quite understand the question, let me know if that's not what you are asking. Basically if I don't enable the VM, Fing won't work because it's installed within that VM. FYI, I haven't tried using Fing Desktop in a physical Windows 10 machine as I don't have one that I can keep running 24/7, only laptops and things which I typically switch off. The Host machine that the VM runs on is a QNAP NAS with Virtualisation Station installed. With Virtualisation station you can run standard guest VMs, so one of the them is currently running Fing Desktop (and only that), and is always on as the NAS is also always on. I hope this makes sense. 
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @apos111
    I understand the set up now. Thanks for the clarification. In this case, I would ask you to check if all required ports for Fing desktop is open or not and VM is able to connect to DHCP server of router so Fing desktop can work. Also, if possible share the healthcheck report from the Fing desktop so I can investigate. You need to have ports 80, 443, 4443, 5671 open so the Fing can connect to the Fing Software servers. 

(If you are going to run a speed test, please also have ports 3001, 3002, and 3003 enabled also) 

• 80 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 443 (Fing Service and Software Updates) 

• 3001, 3002, 3003 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 4443 (Fing Service) 

• 5671 (Fing Diagnostics) 

Fing makes use of these protocols and ports. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)