Why did 70+ Generic Devices suddenly appear on my network?

Timm
Timm Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
edited January 14, 2021 in Devices & Security #1
Why did 70+ Generic Devices suddenly appear on my network? They have no mac addresses only IP address that are in network. I feel like they arent real. But what are they? Anybody want to take a crack at it?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Timm

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing App.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

If you are using an Apple device to run the Fing app with IOS14 then please refer to this article which has detailed information on how to make Fing app work with IOS14: https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14

Generic devices are those devices for which Fing was not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB

To note: Fing App is no longer able to display MAC addresses on iOS because Apple has blocked apps from reading them from the ARP table. Whilst we are still able to recognise that a device is connected to the network scanned, these devices will appear as 'Generic'. This is an Apple imposed limitation, however we do continue to do our utmost to provide as much information to identify each device.’

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    TimeStampTimmjjrice2233
  • TimeStamp
    TimeStamp Falling Water, CanadaMember Posts: 9
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thanks Robin for posting those links for IOS14. This is a MUST " read " article for newcomers to Fing!
    Happy Friday!!
    Milo and younger brother Escher
    Robin_from_Fingjjrice2233Fingerling
  • Timm
    Timm Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

Wow. Thanks Robin. Thanks Apple....not so much.

but yeah Robin that is immensely helpful. Thank you!

jjrice2233Robin_from_FingParineal
  • FingyFangz
    FingyFangz Member Posts: 11
    Photogenic First Comment

Hi.

I am finding a lot of unknown “generic” devices listed on my 2.4 network that I have been having security camera troubles with. When I log in with my phone, I’m kicked off. How can I block these devices with Fingbox?

any thought or ideas???