devices not showing & wrong ID's for others

JayMac
JayMac Member Posts: 2
First Comment
edited January 12, 2021 in Fing App #1
I've recently run my fing app (last time was about a year ago).  There are devices connected to my network that aren't showing now.  There are other devices showing that are being incorrectly identified.  for example, I have two Netvue cameras that are being named as "streaming devices" and it says they are amazon fire sticks or google chromcasts.  I don't have any fire sticks currently connected to my network, and only one chromcast that is correctly ID'd as a chromcast.  Also, given all this I downloaded and ran the deskstop version.  They see different things and still ID them incorrectly.  Anyone know what is going on?  Also when you "remove a device", are you telling the software to ignore that MAC address, or just remove what you've called it.  If the former, how do you "un-remove" something so it shows the address again?  Thanks!

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,652
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @JayMac, I moved this to the Fing app area for relevance.  

I'm assuming that when you say that they aren't showing now, that you don't even see their IP addresses in the device list assigned to anything? If you do see the IP address but don't recognize the device its associated with, perhaps you have a device with an OS that uses Mac address virtualization.  That does throw the detection process a bit off.  There are plenty of threads on this in the forums.

If you see something that is not recognized properly, use the recognition feature to correct.  This also helps Fing's database engine over time so the work you do could only make the product better. 

The desktop and the Fing mobile app are two different products so its not completely surprising that you could get two different results.  Keep in mind each one is also dependent on the OS's they run on, interfaces etc that they connect to.  You could even see that behavior running the Fing app on different mobile devices.

As for the items you delete, that only removed it till the next scan.  On the next scan, if the item is live, it will show again on the device list.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • JayMac
    JayMac Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    1.) i used the recognition feature, but the only thing I could correct was the name.  It let me submit the corrections for evaluation, but it didn't change it.
    2.)there are IP addresses missing from the list (which used to include all addresses in a "straight" numerical order.)  There are several bogusly "identified" items, so badly that unless I take off all items in my system and put them back one at a time, I'll never figure out which ones are which.  Why did it work so perfectly a year ago, but now it's terrible?
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,652
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

thanks @JayMac I’m tagging @Robin and @Ciaran from Fing to see if they have any insights into what your experiencing.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,727
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    JayMac said:
    1.) i used the recognition feature, but the only thing I could correct was the name.  It let me submit the corrections for evaluation, but it didn't change it.
    2.)there are IP addresses missing from the list (which used to include all addresses in a "straight" numerical order.)  There are several bogusly "identified" items, so badly that unless I take off all items in my system and put them back one at a time, I'll never figure out which ones are which.  Why did it work so perfectly a year ago, but now it's terrible?
    If you were using Android device for Fing app, we have released a fix for such errors today. Please upgrade and check if the issue persists? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!