Why does my BT Hub6 Router - Default to opening port 6969 and others?
My BT Hub6 Router seems to be opening several ports as standard and I'm worried that they may pose a security risk to my network. I'd be grateful for any help from someone more knowledgable than myself.
Here's what I've done so far...
- Physically unplugged/switched off EVERY device connected to my home network; laptops, phones, smart plugs, Alexa's... Everything!
- Did hardware factory reset of the router
- Disabled UPnP on router
- Did Port Scan (with NO devices connected)
Scan results, taken approx 30 seconds after factory reset....
Discovered open port 80/tcp on 192.168.1.254
Discovered open port 53/tcp on 192.168.1.254
Discovered open port 139/tcp on 192.168.1.254
Discovered open port 443/tcp on 192.168.1.254
Discovered open port 445/tcp on 192.168.1.254
Discovered open port 6969/tcp on 192.168.1.254
Note: I get the same result if I use my phone or my laptop to do the reset (They are the one and only device switched on each time, just incase they were opening the ports).
Completely baffled and paranoid about port 6969. I do not use torrents or suchlike as some have said the port is for. Now contemplating buying a new 3rd party router to replace the Hub6, but obviously don't want to spend money if there's a simple fix
Can anyone can make sense of the above, I'd be grateful for your wisdom.
Thanks in anticipation.
- 5.6K All Categories
- 2.8K Ask about Connected Technology
- How To...
- 1K Devices & Security
- 1.5K Network Troubleshooting & Connectivity
- 112 General Discussion, Weird & Wonderful
- 39 Network Infrastructure
- 5.2K Ask about Fing
- 530 Fing Account Change Request
- 1.1K Fing Desktop
- 1.3K Fing App
- 1.6K Fingbox
- 485 Announcements, Beta Testing & Release Notes
- 153 Community Updates
- 24 Getting started
- 13 Community User Guides