Device showing up on Fing but not on Home Network

I have a device showing up on Fing and at first it was also showing up on my home network. It was an abnormal Ip/Mac address so I ran a check on my home network activity log and I saw it had accessed Instagram. In the process of trying to figure out who this belonged too it disappeared off my home network and would only show up on Fing. I have rescanned several times and sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn't! Could someone in my house be using a dna blocker or something? I have run the Mac address against vendors and etc. And NOTHING COMES UP! ITS GHOST! 02:5B:AE:69:3E:7F . Kudos to Fing for finding it!

Answers

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 159
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    MAC addresses that begin with X2 (X2:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX), X6 (X6:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX), XA (XA:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX), and XE (XE:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX) are "locally administered MAC addresses". They can be used to "override" the "burned-in" MAC address of a device, and for creating "virtual" network interfaces. Some wifi routers use a locally administered MAC address to create the "guest" network. Locally administered MAC addresses will not show up on MAC address lookup web pages. They are still valid MAC addresses, though, which is why Fing can "see" them, but not identify the manufacturer. With the release of iOS/iPadOS 14, Apple included the ability for iPhones and iPads to create randomized MAC addresses, for privacy/security, when connecting to wifi networks. Those randomized MAC addresses are locally administered ones. Android 10 has them, too, along with Windows 10. The option can be turned on and off. Since your "ghost" MAC accessed Instagram, is it possible someone in your household has an iPhone, or Android 10 phone? If so, it's possible their phone is using randomized MAC addresses.