Why is my network showing as two different names.

This all started a few weeks ago. I have been using a WiFi network exclusively. The network is named DONoTENTER. Now, I am picking up two separate networks. WiFi network(DONoTENTER/192.168.1.0/24) and Ethernet(D-Link DWA-40 RangeBooster N USB Adapter(rev.B2)/192.168.1.0/24).
We have a D-link rangebooster usb attached to a desktop pc, but it is not connected to anything else. It is definitely not Ethernet. Our network is constantly switching between the two networks. The Ethernet network is also showing devices come online that are not even powered on.
192.168.1.0/24 is the subnet mask.?. So what is going on here?
Security is a false state of reality

Best Answers

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Wamparythm from your post you appear to have one network but you are broadcasting your network ssid with two names (your Booster ssid is the other network),  this is why fing is identifying two networks. When you run a scan fing will identify & scan the network your device is connected to, in your current configuration it will connect to your router or booster.
    You can leave things as they are which won’t cause any physical problems, or if you prefer to “tidy up your network” you could rename the ssid of your booster so that it is the same as your router ssid (check with your user manual). Unless you are comfortable with network setting/configuration I would recommend leaving the ssid’s as they are.
    MarcRobin_from_Fing
  • Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 #3 Accepted Answer
    hi @Wamparythm from the information available it’s difficult to be certain what’s happening however:-
    If wifi connections (even very short duration) between your pc & router are dropping that would cause the messages you are getting. If there is any local electrical interference or many wi-fi users in your locality this can cause connections to temporarily drop.
    1. Your individual devices generally will connect to the ssid with the appropriate speed (2.4/5Ghz), many devices only operate at 2.4.
    2. Devices generally will automatically connect to the strongest signal (unless configured to do something different).
    3. The strongest signal is not necessarily the closest (geographically).
    4. You can usually configure devices to logon to a specific ssid/network, the method is dependant on the manufacturer/device.

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,742
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the post. I am sure our moderators can guide you efficiently. Any advice @Marc @Pixel @kltaylor @rooted
    Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JRW44
    JRW44 Colfax CaliforniaMember Posts: 4
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have multiple instances of two entries for one device.  Example an iPhone with MAC address DA:86:10:XX:XX:XX is also listed as A6:2B:B0:XX:XX:XX.  Both with same IP address.  Same for an Amazon Echo - first three pairs of the MAC replaced by the same A6:2B:B0.  Again both at the same IP address.  Is this the problem this thread is addressing?  Can you tell me the source of the 'A6:2B:B0' that over-writes what I believe to be the manufacturers code group?
  • Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 #6
    Hi @JRW44 thanks for your post, in answer to your first question, no the thread is addressing a different issue.
    What you are seeing is related to private mac addressing, a relatively recent security update for apple devices (android have also introduced a version as well i believe).
    See :- https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227 & 
    https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14

regards.

• Wamparythm
    Wamparythm Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Thanks Pixel. I just have one more question. When my devices are connected to D-Link and online, I will get alerts from Fing saying that my router NVG589 has disconnected or reconnected to network. How is this possible?  Also, it is all or nothing with every device. They all are on one SSID or the other. It would seem that devices closest to the router would connect to that one.
    Security is a false state of reality