Port Scans every 30 seconds?

Ray_Vaughan_99
Ray_Vaughan_99 Member Posts: 8
First Comment Photogenic
edited December 30, 2020 in Fing App #1
Why is Fing (88.99.37.190) doing a port scan on our public IP address every 30 seconds?  Seems excessive for a port scan.   How do I turn down that frequency to say, once a day?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Ray_Vaughan_99
    Are you using Fingbox? Are you running Fing application on Mobile or Laptop? From the screenshot, I cant see if Fing is doing port scan every 30 secs. Can you share some other screenshot where I can understand this issue?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Ray_Vaughan_99
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes, we have a Fingbox running in our network.  It's working well.  Unique Identifier agent-F023B9EC66C5.  
    I'm using a browser to see our data.  I can't find any setting that says to do a port scan of us every 30 seconds.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Yes, we have a Fingbox running in our network.  It's working well.  Unique Identifier agent-F023B9EC66C5.  
    I'm using a browser to see our data.  I can't find any setting that says to do a port scan of us every 30 seconds.

We dont have any option where you can change settings for port scan. Fingbox does not do port scan every 30 secs. I would like you to check the network size set on Fingbox from Fing app settings. Also, you can enable the slow network discovery following this article: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/will-fingbox-slow-down-my-network/
    I hope it helps.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Ray_Vaughan_99
    First Comment Photogenic
    I'm talking about a scan from Fing, in Germany, to our public IP address.  Not from the Fingbox. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    I'm talking about a scan from Fing, in Germany, to our public IP address.  Not from the Fingbox. 
    Are you using Fing desktop or Fing mobile app? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Ray_Vaughan_99
    First Comment Photogenic
    I have used both.  Usually mobile. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    I have used both.  Usually mobile. 
    Fing mobile app as well as Fing desktop runs the scan for devices every 5-20 mins depending upon the network size set. For port scan, you have to manually scan for port scan. Fing app or Fing desktop doesn't scan for port automatically. Can you share where do you see port scan request is coming from Fing app or Fing desktop?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Ray_Vaughan_99
    First Comment Photogenic
    Please read this whole thread.  I showed you samples of the port scans coming from your IP address.  Why is Fing in Germany scanning a US customer's public IP addresses every 30 seconds? 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Please read this whole thread.  I showed you samples of the port scans coming from your IP address.  Why is Fing in Germany scanning a US customer's public IP addresses every 30 seconds? 
    Can you send a screenshot from the router page where it displays the Fingbox IP address? Fing app or Fing desktop doesn't need an IP address to operate. If any application requires IP address then it is Fingbox. I need to check if Fingbox is performing these port scans. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Ray_Vaughan_99
    First Comment Photogenic
    The Fing box has an internal 192.168 address.   It's not what scanned us.  FING, in Germany, 88.99.37.190, is what scanned us.  Hundreds of scans, starting every thirty seconds.  Why? 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Ray_Vaughan_99
    Apologies for delay in response. We checked and I would like to update that this is a remote penetration testing server: 88.99.37.190 which scans and checks all the 65k ports, so it takes time but it’s weekly, unchanged for years.
    If it is happening every 30 secs then we can disable it from our backend. Would you like us to disable this? Looking forward to your reply.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Ray_Vaughan_99
    First Comment Photogenic
    "If it is happening every 30 secs.."  You really don't know what your own servers are doing?  If you don't want your IP addresses blacklisted, you don't pound any customer with such activity. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    "If it is happening every 30 secs.."  You really don't know what your own servers are doing?  If you don't want your IP addresses blacklisted, you don't pound any customer with such activity. 
    From our side, as I mentioned, it is weekly and we have not changed anything on our end. Just because you mentioned it is happening every 30 secs, I asked you if you want us to disable this from our backend. You have not responded if you want it to be disabled or not? Looking forward to your reply. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Ray_Vaughan_99
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes, please stop scanning our public IP addresses. 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Yes, please stop scanning our public IP addresses. 
    Thanks, I will get back to our developers and they will do the needful. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)