Hi every one, Seeking help regarding on how to block unwanted wifi users which I already share my pw

AWAN
AWAN Member Posts: 1

I have wifi for my home usage, Somehow I have given access to 2 or three persons now I want to block those.

Best Answer

• AbD
    AbD Member Posts: 1
    First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    #2 Accepted Answer
    @AWAN There is another way, most modern routers support blocking devices based on a MAC address. Check if your router has an option, if so, using Fing you can find their device MAC, once identified you can add those MAC addresses to your router blacklist.

PS: Some of new devices has the option of randomizing their MAC address when connecting to Wifi, Eg., Samsung Phones, in which case, this solution will not work.
    Marc

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,660
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AWAN, if your talking about the wifi password that goes along with your SSID, the only choice you have is to change your WiFi's SSID password and not let them know what you changed it to.  This is a little painful as you would need to reset the password on all your devices to match.  I would go further and suggest that while you were at it, you might even want to change your wifi SSID name to something new.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_FingAWANOKC
  • OKC
    OKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 75
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    Do you have a FingBox? If so you can block it from the app on your phone.
    1) To remove; Home > Devices > find the device you want to remove and remove > Device Detail > Manage this device > Here you can block, pause or remove this device.
    2) Home > network > auto block new devices.
    thomasmerz
  • cagouille
    cagouille Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Hi OKC,
    I have the same problem as Awan. So i'm interested by your answer. However, there is no option to pause or block, we can just remove a device.
    You are wrong or i am wrong ?
    Thank you.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @cagouille, make sure your monitoring (or looking at) the same network your fingbox is monitoring.  You do that from the Home Screen, Current WiFi, then choosing the icon on the far right (The one that looks like lines).  Click it, scroll to the Fingbox network, swipe left and make it your home network.  You can also just select it but you should make it your default if you have a Fingbox.
  • cagouille
    @AbD @AWAN to filter mac adresses you can use white list instead of black list to deny access to new devices with random MAC addresses.
  • OKC
    ✭✭

I am assuming that everyone has bought a fingbox? If you are wanting to block new devices, that requires a fingbox. The app is not capable of this by itself.

thomasmerz
  • cagouille
    edited January 2, 2021 #9
    @OKC, thanks for your answer. But i haven't this option. How do you get here ?
    Yes I have a fingbox; I was one of the first purchasers of a fingbox.

• thomasmerz
    thomasmerz Member Posts: 35
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    OKC said:
    Do you have a FingBox? If so you can block it from the app on your phone.
    1) To remove; Home > Devices > find the device you want to remove and remove > Device Detail > Manage this device > Here you can block, pause or remove this device.
    2) Home > network > auto block new devices.

@AWAN "auto block new devices" is **the** killer feature of the Fingbox! You can block or "pause" them with the Fing-App by just clicking on the devices of the person(s) you want to block if they have already access to your WiFi by knowing SSID+PW.
    OKC
  • thomasmerz
    ✭✭
    cagouille said:
    Hi OKC,
    I have the same problem as Awan. So i'm interested by your answer. However, there is no option to pause or block, we can just remove a device.
    You are wrong or i am wrong ?
    Thank you.

"Remove" and "auto block new devices" after removing the unwanted devices will solve the problem.
    OKC
  • cagouille

Thanks thomasmerz for your answer. However, do you confirm there is no option "block" or "pause" for one device as you can see on my screen copy ?

• thomasmerz
    ✭✭
    I searched for my device and clicked its name to get all details - it might be a bug that not all details are shown at your app?! I tried some online and some offline device. They all have "all details" that would be needed:
    "Gerät blockieren" = for "block this device"
    "Internet pausieren" = for "pause internet"
    "Entferne Gerät" = "remove device"
    :-)
    So, just for documentation: I would do "Entferne Gerät" (delete device) and when auto-blocking is enabled (in the "network" tab: "manage this network": "block new devices", this device will not be able to use the Wifi even with SSID and password knowing until YOU will allow it explicitely.

• OKC
    ✭✭
    cagouille said:

Thanks thomasmerz for your answer. However, do you confirm there is no option "block" or "pause" for one device as you can see on my screen copy ?

Did you get this figured out? when you open the app you are in "Home" Do you have an option to "See all devices"?
  • cagouille

That is my home screen. I

• cagouille
    That is the next screen when i click on "Rechercher des Appareils"

• OKC
    ✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 #18
    yours looks different than mine but it looks like you are in the right place Do you see the network tab on mine? Click on one of the devices that you see on your home page and you can block any one of those items.

• OKC
    ✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 #19
    this is the tab next to the one i just posted. Do you have the network tab?

• cagouille
    yes i have.
  • cagouille
    Here it is:

• cagouille
    When i click on one device from the previous "peripheriques" (= devices), here is what i get:

• cagouille
    it seems i am at the right place but not with same options ???
  • cagouille
    When i bought the fingbox i had these options !!
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @cagouille, it looks to me like not all devices can be blocked.  For example, I can’t block my router, nor can I block my Fingbox.  I can block my mesh nodes, printers, phones.  Can you block any other device?  @Robin or @Ciaran, any help you provide would be appreciated.
  • cagouille
    i just tested my 2 printers and my phone. I haven't 'pause' or 'block' (just delete).

• cagouille
    whatever the device tested I don't have these options.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried the steps listed in this link to troubleshoot ?  The folks from Fing will probably ask you the same question.

https://community.fing.com/discussion/5810/are-you-having-trouble-accessing-your-fingbox-functionalities-from-the-app
  • OKC
    ✭✭
    edited January 17, 2021 #29
    cagouille said:
    whatever the device tested I don't have these options.

how long has it been since you updated the Fing App? from the looks of your screenshots, you are using an iPhone? can you check and see that your app is up to date? Would you happen to have a desktop PC? if so have you tried to use this feature on the PC? log into a browser, (fing.com) or (https://app.fing.com)  I have the desktop app but I didn't see a way to block anything there, so I used a firefox browser.

• OKC
    ✭✭

I'm curious if he tried it on his desktop. For who ever is following this, I was not able to do this on the desktop app but I got that functionality back by opening a browser.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,746
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Marc said:
    @cagouille, it looks to me like not all devices can be blocked.  For example, I can’t block my router, nor can I block my Fingbox.  I can block my mesh nodes, printers, phones.  Can you block any other device?  @Robin or @Ciaran, any help you provide would be appreciated.
    Thanks Marc, there are few devices list that cant be paused and blocked. I will get the list and share it with everyone. Some of the top ones are router, Fingbox itself, wifi printers, doorbells, security cameras, garage door etc.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!