Wildly wrong location

I installed Fing for desktop (Mac) and am finding it very difficult to make sense of it (and no, I'm not wet behind the ears – have been using computers and internet for 30+ years).
My location is shown as Sydney NSW, which is 700 km from my home.
Despite wasting an hour trawling through the help section and discussions, I'm none the wiser.
The suggestion that I click on the FIng icon at top LH corner of screen does NOT bring up a list of networks despite the suggestions offered. I'm finding the whole business extremely frustrating.
I'm thinking that either FIng is a dud or too difficult to be bothered with. OTOH, Speedtest.net, which I've been using for a decade, is simple and straightforward.
Should I just dump Fing?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,664
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Speed test is just one of the things it does.  It seems to be geared more towards being an IP and device discovery and troubleshooting tool.  As for speed testing, MLABS or Speedtest and their likes have their pluses and minuses I suppose.  Fing uses MLABS so if you don't like mlabs results, you will probably not like what Fing presents.

For the location issue, it seems to be a running problem for some folks.  if you've read through the forum, there is much written about this.  Fing uses an API but seems its really not a perfect location translation from every external IP address location.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Robin_from_Fing
  • VerbivoreAU
    VerbivoreAU Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you, Marc. If "Fing uses an API but seems its really not a perfect location translation from every external IP address location" then it's not much use to me. Since posting my query I've wasted many hours reading through the forums and not found a helpful answer, so perhaps I'll just delete Fing. I got on okay without it previously.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,664
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ciaran or @Robin , would you have more to add on how the desktop determines location and possible ways for a user to make it more accurate. Note @VerbivoreAU issues and concerns from the above threads. Thanks...

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc
    The only thing I can add is to check if correct Timezone is selected on Fing app and location permissions are enabled for Fing app. @VerbivoreAU
    you can check with M-lab site if they have servers in your region as well or not. If not, then API will choose the next closest server. It may not be 100% accurate.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!