No device show under Local Network

GreggD4
GreggD4 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
I recently installed Fing desktop app on my Microsoft Surfacebook 2 and when the installation is complete no devices show under Local Network. I have rebooted the PC several times and still nothing shows. Also, I cannot see the Finbox that have installed on my network like I can using the web app. Any help with troubleshooting the problem would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,651
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @GreggD4, the Desktop app is a separate product from the Fingbox and is not able to manage or see what a Fingbox scans..  For that you need the mobile app which runs on Android or iOS. 

However, the desktop should be able to scan your network on its own and display your devices.  Could you screenshot what the screen looks like ?
    GreggD4

Answers

• GreggD4
    GreggD4 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Marc - Thank you for the information. I was able to correct the issue and now the Desktop app can scan and see the devices on my network. The issue was that I had setup a bridge connection on my laptop (I remember doing this for testing, but thought I had remove the bridge), which was causing the problem. Once that was removed, I was able to scan my local network. 
    Marc
  • Grod55
    Grod55 Member Posts: 9
    Photogenic First Comment
    I am having a similar issue. On the Fing desktop app, no devices show up on the Local network. On the web based Fing app, all devices show. Devices use to show on both the desktop app and web app, so not sure what happened.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,725
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Grod55 said:
    I am having a similar issue. On the Fing desktop app, no devices show up on the Local network. On the web based Fing app, all devices show. Devices use to show on both the desktop app and web app, so not sure what happened.

Can you share screenshot of this so I can guide you better? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Grod55
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited May 25, 2021 #6
    this is what I see on the desktop - no devices listed

and here is the top line of what I see on the web app. There are 74 devices connected to my network and I see them all in the web app

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    edited May 26, 2021 #7
    Thanks @Grod55
    Are you using Wireshark or any other application which is using NpCap library by any chance? Are you connected via Wired or Wireless connection? Also, Can you quit all Fing services from tasks manager and then reboot device and then open Fing desktop and check if the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Grod55
    Photogenic First Comment
    I am not running Wireshark. I did get the desktop app to work by doing the following:
    launch task manager
    go to the services tab
    Find "Fing Agent" and right-click to select "Stop"
    Once the service shows stopped, right-click again and select "Start"
    This is not the first time that I have had to do this to get Fing Desktop to work - why is this?
    Thanks,
    Gordon
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @Grod55
    I believe there is some application on your machine which is causing Fing desktop service to disable and then you have to manually enable it to work. Are you using any Firewall or Antivirus on your device?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Grod55
    Photogenic First Comment
    I am using McAfee Total Protection and Windows Security
    Thanks,
    Gordon
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Grod55 said:
    I am using McAfee Total Protection and Windows Security
    Thanks,
    Gordon
    Can you add Fing desktop to whitelist in the above-mentioned apps? Also, Can you run Fing desktop under safe mode with networking and see if the issue persists which will confirm that those security apps are causing the issue.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Arvind_Sood
    Arvind_Sood Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited June 7, 2021 #12
    I have the same problem. When I installed Fing desktop it was working fine, but now I get no data.
    I have gone as far as disabling Windows Firewall, but no change.
    Update: I uninstalled and reinstalled Fing and this problem went away. However this isn't a viable long term solution, and indicates that the local security settings were not the root cause.

• JedWare
    JedWare Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I am having the same issue.

Is uninstall and reinstall the only solution when it occurs?

I do not have any virus scanner installed and am connected via ethernet. As stated previously it was working for some time and then all of sudden stopped showing devices in desktop app but web app still shows them.  Maybe some windows patch broke something in the desktop code?
  • Arvind_Sood
    Arvind_Sood Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

I’ve had to do it twice now, and haven’t seen any other solutions for this posted here.

• JedWare
    JedWare Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I was able to get Fing restored by issuing the following commands via command prompt (as Administrator)

sc stop Fing.Agent
    sc start Fing.Agent

Looks like a bug in the service.