Can't install Fing desktop

V2JTB
V2JTB Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic

Fing Service not found

We're reconnecting to the Fing Service. If you keep seeing this page, try rebooting or reinstalling the latest version of Fing App to resolve the issue. If the problem persists, you can contact us at [email protected]

Answers

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @V2JTB
    Are you using Fing desktop on MAC or Windows so I can guide you? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • V2JTB
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi Robin, I am on Windows 10.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    V2JTB said:

Hi Robin, I am on Windows 10.

Can you try to reboot the windows device and then check? if restarting PC haven't help to resolve this behaviour, these commands may be useful to windows (to launch from Command Prompt as administrator):

• Stop service command: sc stop Fing.Agent
    • Start service command: sc start Fing.Agent

If this is unsuccessful, please check under Services.msc and restart the Fing agent service. Here is an external link on how to do that: https://www.minitool.com/news/how-to-open-windows-services.html

If this is unsuccessful, it may the case that the Fing Agent service has not been installed correctly. This can be verified by making the following commands from the command line (cmd) :

1. sc query Fing.Agent - (it should return to service status)
    2. %ProgramFiles\resources\fingagent.exe --version - (it should return the installed version of the Fing Agent)

If the commands are successful I recommend a new installation of the Fing Desktop.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • V2JTB
    First Comment Photogenic

C:\Users\mail>sc stop Fing.Agent
    [SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    V2JTB said:

C:\Users\mail>sc stop Fing.Agent
    [SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Thank you for your message. I would like you to follow these steps and the issue should be resolved.  

-> Uninstall WinpCap using Revo(if possible)  

-> Disable the Npcap driver service and then uninstalled the program. To disable NpCap:  
    1 Run this command as an admin: sc.exe config npcap start= disable  
    2 Uninstall Npcap  

-> Reboot your device to safe mode with networking  

->Download and install new Fing desktop version and then open it.  

-> Reboot to normal mode and then check if it works for you.  

I will be looking forward to your reply.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • compmmf
    compmmf Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Hi Robin,
    I am using Windows 11. How can I fix this error? Reinstalling did not solve the installation of the service.
    I did not uninstalled the ncap driver, beacuse this solution was provided for Win 10.
    Thank you
  • Michal_From_Fing
    Michal_From_Fing Member, Administrator, Moderator, Desktop Help, Fing Team Posts: 39
    10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hi @compmmf, I have created a support ticket regarding the issue. 
  • Jba1207
    Jba1207 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I am using Mac OS that is running Monterey so the newest and I am having the same problem?
  • Michal_From_Fing
    Michal_From_Fing Member, Administrator, Moderator, Desktop Help, Fing Team Posts: 39
    ✭✭
    Hi @Jba1207
    I have created support ticket regarding the issue.
  • zhomenet08
    zhomenet08 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited October 19, 2022 #11
    Hi Michal,

Any updates on your support ticket?

I have the same issue using Windows 10. I've attempted uninstall (using Revo)/reboot many times with the Fing installer and Microsoft Store app.

Every time results in the Fing service you mentioned not being installed. No "Fing.Agent" service exists in Services.msc. Additionally, you mentioned the Fing agent should install to '%ProgramFiles\resources\fingagent.exe' (I believe this is a typo as should be '%ProgramFiles%\Fing\resources\...'), but the executable you mentioned is nowhere to be found (see directory contents below). 

I would really like to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling Windows drivers, there has to be a better solution then this.

Please advise on the anticipated timeline for resolution of this issue.

Contents of Directory '%ProgramFiles%\Fing' (see attached output if poor image resolution):

• Karl_From_Fing
    Karl_From_Fing Administrator, Beta Tester Posts: 411
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @zhomenet08
    I have created a support ticket for yourself too so we can troubleshoot this further!
  • GetOffMyLawn
    GetOffMyLawn Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Answer First Comment
    Hey @zhomenet08
    I have created a support ticket for yourself too so we can troubleshoot this further!

I am having the same issue on my Win 10 desktop. I noticed the log files stopped being created on 11/4/22. Fing has been working on my desktop for a couple of years with no issue so I'm lost as to why this is an issue.
  • Michal_From_Fing
    ✭✭
    Hi @GetOffMyLawn,

I have created a support ticket in relation to your issue.
  • GetOffMyLawn
    GetOffMyLawn Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Answer First Comment
    Hi @GetOffMyLawn,

I have created a support ticket in relation to your issue.

Later during the day, I was able to get Fing working by doing these steps in this order:

Uninstall Fing
    Edit the Windows registry and remove Fing.agent folder.(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fing.Agent)
    Restart
    Uninstall NPCAP
    Restart 
    Download free NPCAP from https://npcap.com/ and install
    Restart
    Download a fresh Fing 3.1.0 and install
    Restart
    Open Fing and it's back to working again.

Maybe there was a problem with NPCAP and the latest Fing release but it now is back. Thank you for creating the ticket.