(1)How do you change the vendor for a device? (2)How do you add an equipment type category?

pjHunter
pjHunter Member, Beta Tester Posts: 6
Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
edited December 17, 2020 in Fing App Tips & Tricks #1
I have number of antenna's in my network made by Ubiquiti.  They run a Linux OS.  When I scan my network devices, they show up as "Samsung/Android".  I would like to change the vendor to Ubiquiti and I would like to have "Antenna" as an equipment type category, but I can't see how to add that.  Also, all Ubiquiti devices run Linux and that doesn't seem to be an option to choose.  How do I do that?

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Marc @pjHunter
    If the Fing app doesn't give you an option to change the O.S then it cant be forced. For some devices if the correct name and vendor is identified then Fing app doesn't ask for O.S. We are still making the device discovery stronger each time but as of now, changing of O.S cant be forced.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,719
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @pjHunter , which version of Fing do you have?  The desktop or the mobile app?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • pjHunter

Both, but I primarily use the desktop version. Also I just have the basic flavor, not premium.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For the desktop, click into the item you want to change and then click on recognize.  That will bring up a second screen where you can enter a search for a more precise device.  If the model of the device you want appears (It supports type ahead, the more you type the more it narrows down a list of devices you can choose), choose it and then it will prompt you to verify or change the OS.  if that's not correct then change it as well.

Next screen...

Robin_from_Fing
  • pjHunter
    Thanks @Marc
    Using the recognize function I was able to identify the devices as Ubiquiti Networks NanoStation M, but I was not prompted to change the OS.  It is still showing as Android.  It should be Linux.  How can I force that change?
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Almost there. @Robin , how would @pjHunter be able to force the os type to change? I have seen that behavior as well for devices where some let you change OS and version like an iPhone and others do not like a router.

• pjHunter
    Thanks @Robin @Mark.  I'll just wait for the next release that allows OS changes.  "Android" makes no sense for these devices, but I'll just ignore it.