About Your Setup

Princy557
Princy557 North YorkshireMember Posts: 11
First Comment Photogenic
HI, 
Confusion as ever with me , sorry.
When I run 'Router Vulnerability Check' One of the messages I get is as follows.
About Your setup
Directly connected to public Internet
Your router has a public internet address and can be probed by anyone on the Internet.
Detected Public address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Erm! what do I have to change?
Regards Princy

Tagged:

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,740
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Princy557
    How many access points are present in your network? Also, Is your SSID protected by password?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Princy557
    First Comment Photogenic
    First of all thanks for the replies. Thanks for putting me in my place Robin.
    However I'm going to have to explain that I'm in my seventies and an ex professional computer man. The first part of the sentence is the main part, I am now finding it very difficult to follow reams or pages of instructions, which all the youths out there  will  have no problem with. It has to be in short bursts like most people do..
    Everything I ask about is so familiar, but I have difficulty joining the dots. I expect I will fade away in the next few years and not be bothering anyone.
    Thanks for the boost to my waning confidence , NOT.
    I'll go way now and wade through that document, at the end of which I will still  need a simple answer.
    Sorry to moan
    Oh yes I do remember doing the same to others when I was the boss, I certainly regret that now.
    a saddened Princy557

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,740
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Princy557
    I apologise if there is any miscommunication. The questions I asked it to understand the network set up so I can guide you. It seems to be that either your SSID is open and needs proper password protection or you are not using any local IP address. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Princy557
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Robin,
    no apology is needed, it's my brain at fault.
    I have at least 25 devices ranging from 192.168.1.1 router, through 192.168.1.177 Dotted about
    My SSID has passwords , even on the guest channel

Or am I off on the wrong track again?
    Princy557

• Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 173
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    It's possible your router has UPnP (Universal Plug & Play) enabled. Check your settings, and see if you can disable it.
  • Princy557
    First Comment Photogenic
    HI Scooby, thanks reply.
    Yes UPnP is on, I thought it had to be on to talk to other devices!!  So I can switch it off and what will happen then to things like printers?
    Regards
    Princy557
  • Princy557
    First Comment Photogenic
    I also have this, below.

Is this a good or bad thing?
    Princy557

• Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 173
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Princy557 said:
    HI Scooby, thanks reply.
    Yes UPnP is on, I thought it had to be on to talk to other devices!!  So I can switch it off and what will happen then to things like printers?
    Regards
    Princy557
    UPnP was designed to open ports, automatically, through your router's firewall. When it does that, though, the port is open to the Internet (external), which is not always good. If you switch it off, you should still be able to "talk" to your printer, as long as your printer and other devices are connected to your router's internal network. Try switching it off, and see what happens.

As far as the static IP Address, I can't say. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing. Depends on how it is used.

• Princy557
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi Scooby,
    Thanks for the information., switched off UPnP and have not noticed any difference to the workings of the network.
    Ran the vulnerability check, came back no vulnerabilities . Feel happier now.
    Just got to sort out why my laptop won't talk to some of my NAS drives. A different ticket.
    Thanks again regards Princy557