ISP Location Wrong So im Given wrong speed test location

For some reason Fing is listing me as being in Wales(UK) even though im South East England, I think its because my Towns name is similar to a welsh one. Because of this when i speed test it forces me to test in wales so not giving me accurate results.

Does anyone know how to force it to change?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Livthedream, please have a look at this thread on how Fing determines location.  https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/18796#Comment_18796

if your using the mobile app, you can also modify your actual location via the network tab, and choosing edit to modify your address.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited December 16, 2020 #3
    Hi @Livthedream
    You can follow this link and check if correct Time zone is et on Fing app or not: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/time-zone-change-via-web-app/ and also follow these steps: 

1) Open Fing App and select the Fingbox network and then go to 'Network' tab  

2) Click on the Edit button on ISP tab and it will open the network details page  

3) Clear out the Network information such as Address.  

4) Next, to the MAP section, there is a small icon to auto-detect location. Click on the icon and location permissions will be asked.  After this, run the speedtest again

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Livthedream
    Livthedream Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Hi @Robin unfortunately the only options it gives me under edit ISP is other locations in Wales.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin

@Livthedream
    When you click on Edit icon, do you see Map and next to that there is small auto-detect icon. You need to press that. Refer to the picture above.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Livthedream
    Hi @Robin Id did what you suggested and I still dont have an option to test in London (its my closest location)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @Robin Id did what you suggested and I still dont have an option to test in London (its my closest location)
    When you cliked on Auto-detect icon what location was automatically filled? For speed test, m-labs picks up the server automatically. If one location is busy then it moves to next server. Can you check using web app of M-lab and see which location is being picked up?
    Link: https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Livthedream
    Hi @Robin It selected my exact address. M-Labs uses London-GB. When I goto the app and goto Wi-Fi Internet provider it lists my ISP and the location of my ISP as Monmouth Wales. When I select that provider and Under Test Speed now select Location Change  im only given options for Wales, Monmouth, Cardiff and other locations in Wales.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @Livthedream
    I tested the same on my Fing app and it seems it will not show the exact location but closest location for that ISP. In this case, you can select the closest location. I will seek further advice from developers and get back to you. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Livthedream
    @Robin but thats the thing Wales is no where near me, surely you have a location in London! Ive submitted feedback via the app also. Thanks for digging further for me.