Events history STILL premium, nothing changed, but threads keep getting closed

HRH_The_Duchess
HRH_The_Duchess Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
I follow on from my previous thread 
https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/24081#Comment_24081m
which was closed despite no resolution having been identified. The reason given was that "Fing App iOS version 10.1.0 was released this week. This resolved the events & reported timeline issues that you reported".  But I use an Android phone most of the time, a release of a new iOS version seems hardly relevant to the issues I reported. Those would clearly not have been resolved by this release and continue without any change: for some devices I can get a history, for most I cannot. In any event, having checked with a iPhone, the issue is also exactly the same and remains unchanged. 
I started the thread about the events history now having been hidden behind a paywall because all other threads seem to have been closed with an alleged resolution when, in fact, there has been no resolution at all and no change since Premium was introduced: events history of many, possibly most devices within the Fingbox reach is hidden till you pay a hefty subscription for something previous included in the functionality. Perhaps unsurprisingly, my thread was also closed without a resolution. 
And, to be clear, NO, I am not a moron and have ensured all the blindingly obvious steps have been properly taken. Yes, Fingbox is plugged in and powered up. Yes, it is connected by ethernet to the router, not floating in space, and lit us as connected to the interned. Yes, I am logged into the right account, not some random account which does not have a Fingbox. And no, I am not using the app's native scan, not unless the app enables my phone's range to increase exponentially  and "natively" scan my home network and identify devices within reach of my Fingbox right now from about 5km away using what, telepathic waves? Imaginary cable? Alien technology? And, to have a complete picture, I have now checked the position with two other friends who also have a Fingbox and they get exactly the same issue, so it is by no means unique to me, nor does What this issue needs is a global solution that actually addresses it, as I am clearly not the only one complaining, not disingenuous answers touting an update that either does not materialise or does not solve anything. 

I have taken all the obvious steps and tried every single one of your suggested solutions but, by the looks of it, like most other people complaining about this, the event history for the majority of devices detected by my Fingbox remains hidden behind a paywall. Despite noises to the contrary, you have quite clearly (and one it temped to say, deliberately) removed one of the most important features of a Fingbox and holding us to ransom: either we agree to an ongoing subscription or we are left with a crippled device, which provides only a fraction of the information it used to provide when it was purchased and loses a key functionality, at the core of my decision to buy it. 
So, please be clear: either you reinstate previous functionalities in relation to device history or tell us this is not going to happen and we are stuck with paying or not having access to that information. 
Tagged:
DayJobniXta

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @HRH_The_Duchess
    I have sent you private mail to address your query. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • HappyChap
    HappyChap Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Did you get an answer to this @HRH_The_Duchess? I’ve only just noticed that my Wifi performance history is now blocked (I was trying to solve a different issue when I noticed it was now a premium option only). 

I’ve posted a question in another thread (one where Fingbox asked which features had been removed) but wondered if you had found a resolution?

Thanks, HC.
    niXta
  • René
    René Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hello!
    I too would like to request an answer to this.
    I only just wanted to check the event history of a device and was met with that frustrating message basically saying: "If you want to view the 34 items in the event history, you need Premium".

As I needed to see that history quickly, I even signed up for a premium test account.
    So I would like to know as well: Is it true I need to pay for a feature that used to be free until a few months ago?
    What other features are you planning to move from free into premium?
    And if the Event History still is supposed to be accessible for free: Why can't I access it?
    And yes, just like the original poster: I am signed into the right account, App is working fine, everything is OK EXCEPT that a free feature now wants me to pay 64 Dollars per year.

I am very pissed at the moment.
    I loved the Fing Box. But I really don't like companys that convert free features into premium ones. :(

Please let me "know if there's a solution for this.
    Otherwise: It was nice while it lasted.

niXta
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    @HappyChap, we never received a follow up response regarding the initial post, so I can only presume the initial issue is resolved.

General advise for all users, the main reasons why Fingbox users are still experiencing this is issue is for 1 of the following 2 reasons:
    1) Not logged into correct Fing account
    2) Are not scanning from the Fingbox network (and hence not accessing the Fingbox functionality).

Steps:
    Initially ensure you are logged into your account associated with your Fingbox. 

Access the Fingbox network (and hence Fingbox Dashboard & Functionality):
    1) Go to 'Home' tab
    2) Click 'Scan for devices'
    3) An option will appear, click on 'Continue to Fingbox Network' (this is an important step - if you click 'continue scan' you are essentially scanning using the free app & hence you will not see your device history. By choosing 'Continue to Fingbox Network' you are scanning from your Fingbox)
    4) From the scan results, pick a device, click on it & scroll down to 'Events'. Tap that, and it will show the event history

If the Fingbox network is not on your Home tab & you would like to add it: https://community.fing.com/discussion/5810/are-you-having-trouble-accessing-your-fingbox-functionalities-from-the-app

If you are still experiencing issues, please advise of the steps you took and where you faced the issue. If necessary from there, we can privately troubleshoot with you to resolve and post the general outcome here, which may benefit other users. Thanks.

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• HRH_The_Duchess
    HRH_The_Duchess Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic
    No, you never received a follow up because it is Xmas and I have been just too busy to turn again to something which the Fing team seems determined to deflect and act "as if" the problem was at the user end. IT IS NOT, I CAN ASSURE YOU!!
    I repeat, I am well familiar with networks and have been using my fingbox for years now. The functionality is there, just hidden behind a paywall. It is as simple as that and you have not provided anyone with any credible solution. We are not all morons, you know and the "steps" you set out are largely for someone very dense or unfamiliar with Fingbox and how it works. I am neither, but I still cannot get the events history on most devices
    niXta
  • René
    René Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Hello,

This is getting annoying :(

Here's my situation.

1) YES, I am logged in with the correct - MY ONLY - Fing Account.

2) YES, I am scanning the network using my Fingbox.

3) My issue - being asked to pay for something that used to be free - persists.

4) You don't seem to answer the questions I asked.

I experience this annoyance when I do this:

1) I open the Fing App and access the devices list of my Fingbox-enabled network

2) I pick a device The view showing all details appears.

3) I click the "Events" Button.

4) The annoying message appears: Teling me that if I want to see all events (which used to work fine until a few weeks ago) I need to pay.

Here are my questions again:

1) Is it true I need to pay for a feature that used to be free until a few months ago?

2) What other features are you planning to move from free into premium?

3) And if the Event History still is supposed to be accessible for free: Why can't I access it?

I would appreciate getting a clear answer to this.

Thanks and have a great rest of the year!

niXta
  • Antprice
    Antprice Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    HI,  
    would also like an update on this. It appears that you can now only see 30 days of events.
    Also, not sure if it's related but I am no longer getting push notifications when a new device joins my network. This is listed as a "Premium Feature" but is one of the main reasons I have the fing box in the first place. I was one of the original Indigogo backers and I would be really disappointed if major features that were used to sell the product have now been put behind a paywall. 

• Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @HRH_The_Duchess, we wrote to you as promised on the 16th December (the same day as your initial post) to troubleshoot with you. I completely appreciate that it was the build up to Christmas & people have a lot going on (especially the year that is in it). Thats no problem, when you do get the opportunity, at your convenience, please respond to the mail we sent to you & we will assist you further. We have certainly not 'deflected' anything from you, you are having issues accessing your Fingbox features, hence we wrote to you on the same day in order to troubleshoot the issue with you. 

@René thanks for the message. To answer your questions:

1) Is it true I need to pay for a feature that used to be free until a few months ago? Answer: No, all previous Fingbox functionality is available to all existing Fingbox users.

2) What other features are you planning to move from free into premium?  Answer: We  havent removed any Fingbox features from Fingbox. Some Fing Premium features share Fingbox functionalities, e.g. Vulnerability tool. But if you have a Fingbox and are specifically looking for the vulnerability tool, you will not need Fing Premium as you already have access to it as part of your Fingbox.

3) And if the Event History still is supposed to be accessible for free: Why can't I access it?  Answer: All timeline reporting (including event history) is included for Fingbox for the previous 3 months. If you cannot see the Event History, that is the issue that I want to help you with. To do this, I will send you a private mail to troubleshoot further. Once we have a resolution, I will update the thread with an overview of the outcome (excluding any of your personal details) for any other users that may experience the same issue.

Rest assured, we are committed to assisting and resolving the issue for you.

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• HappyChap
    HappyChap Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Hi @Ciaran and thanks for your replies.

Like @René, the steps I'm taking are:

1. Pick my Fingbox network (it's on my home screen already)
    2. Pick Network from the tabs
    3. Scroll down and pick Wi-Fi Performance
    4. Click History

and screen shot is:

One thing I noticed in your reply above is "All timeline reporting (including event history) is included for Fingbox for the previous 3 months" - is that a change? I don't check Wi-Fi performance routinely; only when I have an issue. I'm sure when I've done this before, it has listed all previous Wi-Fi performance tests, which allows me to compare, not just the last 3 months When it says (above) there are "other Wi-Fi performance tests that are not displayed. Go Premium to unlock the complete Wi-Fi performance test history." is that what has changed - that older than 3 months are now hidden behind the paywall?

Thanks, HC.
    niXta
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @HappyChap
    To clarify Fing timeline events for Fingbox users were reduces to 7 days. Based on the feedback from our users, we have increased the timeline reporting to 3 months. For your Wifi Performance test, it goes back to 3 months as you can see from your screenshot, so it is working as expected.
    Timeline Reporting: We want to leverage its content to the full extent rather than cold-storing it (or worse, having to delete the content), as it provides tremendous value to understand and optimize the network. We’ve not been able so far to provide analysis about the presence, the power consumption, the access to comparison in the App spanning longer periods. These evolutions require more resources to ensure the same level of quality is preserved to all Fingboxes. 

Limiting the timeline is a resource-conscious activity that we might tune but definitely needs to take place. Considering this, along with your feedback, we expanded the Timeline Reporting period to 3 months. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
      Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    • niXta
      niXta Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
      First Comment
      I've contacted support for this exact reason. It took 10-15 mails to get the message through, the support obviously knew about this but didn't want to discuss the subject.
      Why can't the timeline be stored on the fingbox? Or why can't the 3+ months history be stored on the individual devices, and you only sync the 0-3 months of data? There are 100 ways to do this without increasing your resources, we can just ignore that.
      The promise was to not loose features going from v9 --> v10 with a fingbox.
      Still we are here. Minimize your recources - fine. But don't take data/functions as hostage behind a paywall without notice, and at the same time saying there will be no difference for fingbox users.
    • Shaner1Tx
      Shaner1Tx Member Posts: 10
      First Comment Photogenic

I have had a fingbox now for a couple year and just noticed event history is short and full history requires premium subscription. I have tried all recommended steps but nothing has worked. There is an issue differentiating fing app users from fingbox users and the entire premium subscription offer has been a huge mess since day 1. At this point there are enough repeated reported issues of fingbox users being limited to initiate legal action against fingbox breach of purchase agreement. I'm so tired of all the complaints being ignored and paid features being restricted or not working. Speed test is another example.

• Robin_from_Fing
      admin
      Hi @Shaner1Tx
      I have sent you a private mail to address your query. Please reply to my message directly. Thanks
      Robin (Admin at Fing)