Fing app does not recognize most of my devices

Tunin
Tunin Member Posts: 7
First Comment Photogenic
edited December 15, 2020 in Fing App #1
I opted to give fing premium a try, subed, scanned my network, used MAC address (tried the ip as well), out of 39 devices only a few were named in the list (Bose, Iphone, ipad...) the rest of the devices were showing as Generic (most of those devices are Unifi brand (cameras, switches, edgerouter, ap), some are not).

Any tips, or is Unifi and most of the other networking brands Out of Fing’s db?

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Tunin

Generic devices are those devices for which Fing was not able to identify the vendor and what kind of device it is. If there is any device in your house which is using any kind of internet(Wifi) then Fing App can show you all devices connected on your network. You can use this external link to know about the vendor of the device: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB 

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g.  

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.  

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.  

I would advise using a manual recognition where you can select the correct device type and O.S and save the device. This inserting of as many details that you can about the device will help to improve the recognition engine for all Fing users.  

This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

Also, please make sure you have enabled the location permissions for Fing app so Fing app can read the SSID correctly and the devices behind it.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Tunin
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me, well appreciated. For the most part I know what my devices are and what ip they are at... i am just surprised it did not identify branded items like the Unifi aps, cameras...
    Did not realize the community can contribute to the db by adding info on the linked devices. 

The devices are recognized by most of the other apps, services I use so it is not the dhcp and the limited info broadcasted. 

Also, where can one get the fingbox in Europe or online where they would ship to Europe? 

Thank you,
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Tunin said:

Also, where can one get the fingbox in Europe or online where they would ship to Europe? 

Thank you,
    You can visit this link to buy Fingbox: https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox
    Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Tunin
    First Comment Photogenic

Thanks for the response, for Europe only the UK and Turkey are available...?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Tunin said:

Thanks for the response, for Europe only the UK and Turkey are available...?

You can let me know of your place and I can check with product team if there is an alternate way for you to buy Fingbox. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Tunin
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited December 16, 2020 #7

I’m located in Bosnia and Herzegovina, but I can order from Germany, Croatia...?

Thank you.

Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Tunin said:

I’m located in Bosnia and Herzegovina, but I can order from Germany, Croatia...?

Thank you.

I also think Germany would be a good place to order Fingbox from. :smile:

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Tunin
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yes, but i can not find it anywhere in Germany?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Tunin said:
    Yes, but i can not find it anywhere in Germany?
    Can you tell where does the Fing website takes you to buy it from? Usually, it takes you to the closest place where you can buy it from.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Tunin
    First Comment Photogenic

Turkey or the UK, are the only two available, nether a part of the EU.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Tunin
    First Comment Photogenic
    Yeah, I have been checking German Amazon, but it has never had one in stock.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Tunin said:
    Yeah, I have been checking German Amazon, but it has never had one in stock.
    I guess you might need to wait until all our stocks are replenished. Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)