router showing up twice on all devices list with different mac address

Skadoo
Skadoo Member Posts: 3
Photogenic First Comment
edited December 14, 2020 in Fing App #1
Im wondering why my router from my isp is showing up twice in the all devices list with different mac addresses? the second device just showed up a day after the 1st one was setup. Only one is showing online. 

CGM4140COM        
Cisco • CGM4140COM?         Router
Router
Cisco • CGM4140COM?       RouterAndroid

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Skadoo
    Can you check both MAC address correspond to same device using this link: https://aruljohn.com/mac/F45EAB

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g.  

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fing.  

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.  

Also, I would like you to make sure all devices are connected to your network on which the Fing App is currently connected to. If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. 

Skadoo

Answers

• Skadoo
    Skadoo Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment
    Thank you Robin!
    One of the macs is showing its from  The vendor "CIMSYS Inc" and the other is showing "[Technicolor CH USA]" when I checked them on that site.  not sure what that is about but  I do have a 2.4ghz  and 5.0ghz network. Your info explains why I have been seeing double entries for devices at times.  I feel a lot better about the situation now. ;0).