Wrong manufacturer identification

Gabriel1956
Gabriel1956 Member Posts: 2
First Comment Photogenic
I have a TpLink RE305 network extender wrongly recognized as a RE305 APPLE Ipod by MacAddress.
Can't find a way to update/correct the manufacturer.
Actual MacAddress is B2:4E:26:8D:D9.BB
Editing option doesn't allow to change any of the above

Best Answer

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Gabriel1956 the mac address will be one in a range of addresses assigned to specific manufacturers. Those addresses are held in a database look up table and are accessed by fing to identify manufacturers. As you’ve discovered, there are errors in that table and unfortunately, as far as I know, they can only be resolved at source. You can however edit the name & location of the device to reduce any potential confusion.
    Gabriel1956

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Gabriel1956

To correct the misidentified device on Fing desktop, I would suggest to:   

• Scan for devices. 

• If the device is still recognized incorrect then Click on the specific device   

• Click on Icon "Recognize" device   

To manually identify the misidentified device on Fing app, I would suggest to:   

• Sign in to the Fing app 

• Go to Device List    

• Click on the misrecognized device. 

• Below the device name and O.S you will find a text saying "Did we get this right?"  

• If you click on (thumbs_down icon) then it will allow you to manually enter the correct O.S and model of the device. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Gabriel1956
    Gabriel1956 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Instead of getting to the "do we get this right? " question since app only recognize a generic "ipod" it only presents me the choice to specify the model from a list.

My guess is the mac address is not recognized at all, I tried couple of sites offering to recognize manufacturer from mac address and all returned an "unspecified manufacturer"

• Pixel
    Pixel Devon, U.K.Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 217
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2020 #5
    Hi @Gabriel1956

The MAC address is assigned to Tplink, see screenshot, the issue is almost certainly a lookup table problem, but @robin may be able to suggest an alternative method of updating your entry locally.

Cheers.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Sorry @Pixel @Gabriel1956
    right now the only way to recognize the device is through the steps I mentioned. If you continue recognising the devices manually, then Fing app will be able to learn the device for future. Also, as of now, there is no way to manually recognise the MAC address but hopefully, this can be taken as suggestion for future versions.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!