Overwhelming „Fake News“ from Fingbox - am I alone?

rkf
rkf Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭✭
I have Fingboxes for many years now, starting with the 2,4 GHz only first model, now having a 2nd generation one. Over the past months, I get more and more „Fake News“. Examples are:
Fingbox went offline / is unreachable: In fact who went offline is the central Fing communication server to communicate with my Fingbox was unable, contrary to the rest of the Internet.
Next are bad Internet speed measuring records. What really is bad is the reaction of Mlab servers showing lower than expectable speed test results. Doing by hand other speed tests shows immediately that I have a prime connection all time, contrary to Mlab´s glitches.
Third are those „Open TCP port“ issues. I definitely don’t have them - it’s every time automatically open for a short time ports due to expected VoIP/SIP traffic.
Last what´s gone is the sense of the Network Fence in a time when everyone hides his real MAC address behind a randomly chosen one.
And very last I‘m nagged often to subscribe to a paid Fing service - what for, I ask you??
Tagged:
mathom

Comments

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @rkf
    Thank you for your question.
    To answer your question, the point of your Fingbox will remain the same as previously when you purchased it. All current Fingbox functionality will still work on Fingbox and there is no subscription for these features. 

Fing's Product offerings:

We now currently have 3 product offerings: 

1. Fing Mobile App

2. Fing Desktop

3. Fingbox

As mentioned, all current Fingbox functionality will still work on Fingbox and there is no subscription for these features. Fingbox is a completely separate product from the New Fing Desktop. You are correct in saying that Fing Desktop & Fingbox share some features, but they also have features exclusive to each other. 

Currently, the real benefit for people upgrading to Fing Premium will be Fing Desktop & Fing App users. For these users, there is access to more features & usage that is not available on the free app/desktop. There is currently limited benefit for Fingbox users (regarding specific functionality) however, we will be introducing new Premium features across all of our current product offerings as we move forward, that will not only benefit our App & Desktop users, but also our Fingbox users.

I hope this helps.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • NetNoob63
    NetNoob63 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment

“Fake News” is how I’ve been feeling too. It seems like every time I run a scan I’m getting different results. My Fing box is having trouble resolving MAC addresses sometimes. I did just sign up for the premium but that was part of the reason why. So I guess one question I have would be is Fing having problems?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    NetNoob63 said:

“Fake News” is how I’ve been feeling too. It seems like every time I run a scan I’m getting different results. My Fing box is having trouble resolving MAC addresses sometimes. I did just sign up for the premium but that was part of the reason why. So I guess one question I have would be is Fing having problems?

Can you explain the issue in detail so I can guide you? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • NetNoob63
    NetNoob63 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment

Thank you Robin,

the easiest thing would be a few screenshots of my guest network. The first doesn’t look close with 14 online. The second after refreshing is close with 5 except the generic @ 247, which I don’t recognize, doesn’t show a MAC and doesn’t show up when displaying entire network 3rd shot. Just a small sample of my recent strangeness. Thanks again.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @rkf
    I have sent you a private message to address your query. Please reply to my message if you have further questions. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @NetNoob63
    To update, the 3rd screenshot is from the Fingbox and that is more reliable as Fingbox is monitoring continuously for any changes in your network and state changes of your device. Also, Fingbox monitors the previously recognised MAC addresses and their devices types. With manual refreshing of current network, you might see different results as for ios, there might be private mac address feature enabled which will bring more generic devices on each scan. I would advice to view Fingbox network for correct device discovery. If you have further queries please let me know.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    NetNoob63
  • Horatio
    Horatio Member Posts: 9
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

I am having similar problems regarding my fingbox which allegedly - according to the fing app and notification - is offline/not connected, when in fact the fingbox is recognized in my network. Even the fing app shows the fingbox, indicating that is has been online for several days.

usually, I get offline notifications in the middle of the night, and the app shows online status several hours later only.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Horatio said:

I am having similar problems regarding my fingbox which allegedly - according to the fing app and notification - is offline/not connected, when in fact the fingbox is recognized in my network. Even the fing app shows the fingbox, indicating that is has been online for several days.

usually, I get offline notifications in the middle of the night, and the app shows online status several hours later only.

Can you DM me the MAC address of the Fingbox? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Horatio
    Robin, I just sent the MAC address via DM, together with some further info.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Horatio said:
    Robin, I just sent the MAC address via DM, together with some further info.
    Thanks, I have sent you a private message. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Horatio
    I didn’t change a thing in my system, but it appears that the problem disappeared.
    Robin_from_Fing