toolbar icons I don't understand

I'm relatively confused about most of the features available. I only use the fingbox for intruder/new device alerts and don't begin to understand most of the nut's & bolts under the hood.  This particular question is pretty basic. I'm using the chromebook app, I don't know if that's the same as the desktop version. Anyway.... on my dashboard, if that's what it's called, across the top is a toolbar of sorts. On the right side are 5 icons, 2 of which I don't understand. The lightning bolt, that occasionally spins for whatever reason. When I click on it another page opens where I see what looks to be an advertisement for ISP's, the page header says "Your true internet performance", then lists all the various ISP's..... what's that all about? And what causes the icon to spin on occasion? And the pin drop icon opens up a world map..... guessing it's supposed to show my connection location? When I click on my network in the list on left side a pin is dropped somewhere in Texas and pin ID says it's my Netgear router. I ain't in Texas or even close. I don't see anywhere to be able to edit that. Not that it matters much..... I know where I am, and it ain't Texas. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,107
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @blenderbender, For ISP name detection,  Fing uses GEOIP2 City Database API by MaxMind and they update their database every week. If your seeing something amiss I would start by looking at their database to see if they are registering your external IP and ISP incorrectly.  The other issue could be if you are using a VPN, then the location could coincide with the VPN's location.

Below is from this URL, https://support.maxmind.com

How accurate are your GeoIP2 and GeoIP Legacy databases?

MaxMind tests the accuracy of the GeoIP2 and GeoIP Legacy Databases on a periodic basis. In our recent tests, the downloadable databases were 99.8% accurate on a country level, 80% accurate on a state level in the US, and 68% accurate for cities in the US within a 50 kilometer radius. For more details, see GeoIP2 City Coverage and Accuracy. The GeoIP2 Precision Web Services contain our most accurate data at a city/postal code level, geolocating 7% more IPs the correct postal code and 3% more IPs to the correct city in the United States than the GeoIP2 Downloadable Databases. Please note that we unfortunately cannot guarantee 100% geolocation accuracy. Accuracy exhibits high variability according to country, distance, type of IP (cellular vs. broadband, IPv4 vs. IPv6), and practices of ISPs. In favor of transparency, we publish various filters and granularity levels on our GeoIP2 City Accuracy page.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • blenderbender
    blenderbender Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Thanks Marc.... that's above my pay grade. Does it really matter anyhow? I don't care that it seems to think my router is located in Texas. Does that fact impede anything else? I'm not using a VPN.
    What about the spinning lightning bolt icon.... anyone tell me what that's all about?
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure, it should not matter on anything other than the accuracy of the outage detection map and aesthetics. On a side note, when you run an internet performance test, does it know where you are or does that also go to a different location?
  • blenderbender
    blenderbender Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    hmmm.... interesting. By internet performance test I assume you mean speed test? When I run the speed test with the fing app on my phone it shows my location as Washington, US, or does that just mean its running the test using WA. servers? That makes more sense. . When I go to the Network tab in app it shows my correct location. If there is another internet performance test available I'm unaware of it.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct. And yes, it means it’s running off servers in or near Washington.