Alternative for the Fing-App

SchatziPuffi
SchatziPuffi Lower SaxonyMember Posts: 5
Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic

Hello,

Since the first release of the Fingbox I use the iOS-App „Fing“ and I am happy with that. Monday I loaded the last Update from Apple ... after that a heart-attack was near. The software, that was free for Fingbox-Customer now should cost 59,95 € for a Year. That is definitely too much for me as a little pensioner. Now my question: Is there an alternative software for the fingbox? 20 € per year would be ok .... but 59,95 € is not acceptable. Thank you for your help!

Much greetings from Lower Sacony in Northern Germany. Be healthy!!!

SchatziPuffi

SchatziPuffi from Lower Saxony
Fing Hatd- and Software-User since Fingbox-Release V1
Tagged:

Answers

• Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @SchatziPuffi, thank you for your post. To confirm, Fing Premium is completely optional. No Fingbox functionality has been removed. So if you are happy with your current Fingbox functionality, and do not need/want anymore and also do not want to pay for a subscription. You dont have to. I hope that clarifies for you. If you are having difficulty accessing any of your Fingbox functionality, dont hesitate to ask. We will be happy to help. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• SchatziPuffi
    Hi @Ciaran, I tested the Premium-Version yesterday. All of the Premium-Functions were in the (old) normal Fing-App, that I had on my iPhone X before the Update. If I use only the (new) Standard-Fing, Fing don't warn me, if an intruder tries to get in my network. Then the history of the devices is in the Standard-Fing now limited to the last three events. And so on. All important functions for safety in the network are lost in the (new) Standard-Fing. The Premium-Fing bring me these functions back. You wrote: "No Fingbox functionality has been removed." That's not correct. The Fing-App before the Update had the functionality of the new Premium-Fing-App. Please tell me, how can I get the old version with all the very important safety-functions back?
    Thanks for your help, SchatziPuffi ...
  • Ciaran
    admin
    Hi @SchatziPuffi,

Thank you again for your feedback. So to answer each of your queries for you:
    1. Fingbox features v Fing Desktop features:   absolutely, there are shared features e.g. the Vulnerability tool, however there is also functionality that will specifically benefit Fingbox users (granted these are limited, but we are expanding these moving forward). Currently, the users that will see the most benefits from Fing Desktop are Fing App & Fing Desktop users.

2. Timeline reporting (e.g. event history):  it is correct that this was reduced to a 7 day reporting period. However, following feedback from users we have extended this to 3 months reporting period. This has been released on the Android version of the App & we are awaiting for it to go live on the next release of the iOS version (it was due to go live last week but there have been delays on Appstore - but bear with us, it will definately be include on the next version of the iOS App)

3. Fingbox Functionality:  finally, and perhaps most importantly, as mentioned, no Fingbox functionality has been removed, however, you are not the 1st person to have difficulty accessing your Fingbox functionality (which indicates to me that we could be doing something better).  It seems as if for some users the Fingbox network is not appearing on their 'Home' tab. This is generally how users access their Fingbox dashboard (where all of the Fingbox functionality is. You can still access the functionality by click 'Scan for Devices' and then continue to Fingbox network, however most users would provide it more convenient if it was already on the Home page, as previous).  For this reason, I have compiled a post on how to add your Fingbox Network to the Home tab of your App (see the Comment on the post for the iOS instructions) ; https://community.fing.com/discussion/5810/are-you-having-trouble-accessing-your-fingbox-functionalities-from-the-app

I hope the above helps, but if you are still unsure, do not hesitate to ask. thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• SchatziPuffi
    Hi @Ciaran,

thank you very much for your help. To test and verify the functions between the old Fing-App V9 and the new Fing-App V10 I have "buyed" the Premium version of the Fing-App for 1 week (free trial). As I wrote in my first post, with the Premium-Fing-App V10 all functions are available; like in the old free Fing-App V9.
    In order to test your suggestions, now i have to wait until the Premium free trial is over (this is on December 17th, 2020). Then the Standard-Fing-App is automatically active again. And then I will test and report to you, whether the old functionality is restored. I hope it so much!

I wish you a nice weekend and a peaceful 2nd Advent.
    SchatziPuffi

• Ciaran
    admin
    Thank you @SchatziPuffi & the same to you :)

You can still check this in isolation. i.e. ensure your Fingbox netwok is on your Home Tab (if you do not have a Fingbox, you will not be able to access the Fingbox dashboard...even if you have Fing Premium. This is a Fingbox feature)

Regarding the trial, you can cancel at any stage. If you do not wish to purchase the subscription, just make sure you cancel before the 7 days (otherwise you will be charged & we are not able to refund). The following links will be useful depending on where you purchased:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7018481?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

Thanks again & have a great festive season.

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• Ciaran
    admin
    Hi All, to confirm, Fing App iOS version 10.1.0 was released this week. This resolved the events & reported timeline issues that you reported. Thank you for your feedback to date & indeed for your patience.

Just a reminder, if anybody has difficulty accessing their Fingbox functionality please ensure 1) that you are logged into your Fingbox account & 2) that you have the Fingbox network added to your 'Home' tab. To do this: https://community.fing.com/discussion/5810/are-you-having-trouble-accessing-your-fingbox-functionalities-from-the-app

These are the 2 main reasons that seem to be preventing users accessing their functionality recently.

If you have any queries relating to this, dont hesitate to Direct message @Robin and @Ciaran & we will be happy to assist.
    Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

This discussion has been closed.