Devices with multiple IP addresses

I changed my router recently, and I noticed that a bunch of devices are now listed with multiple IP addresses. For example my fingbox (which I've rebooted several times) has two
How can I clear that up?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,060
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @RedBullet, the Fing apps will allow you to delete records were the IP address is not active.  That should remove the old records and clean things up for you.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    [Deleted User]
  • RedBullet
    RedBullet Member Posts: 24
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well, they just appear as "Additional IP" address under the same device
  • RedBullet
    Oh nvm. It looks like it was a Raspberry Pi that had both a wired/wireless connection. Well played.
    Marc
  • hikʷ_qədxʷ
    hikʷ_qədxʷ Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment

I have a Dishnetwork satellite turner that currently has eleven (11) active IP addresses assigned to the same MAC.

Anyone have a solution for that?

The third party customer service contractor doing tech support doesn't have a clue.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RedBullet
    So I've been puzzled by my new Orbi mesh network. I've been seeing devices sharing an IP address, devices (MAC addresses) with multiple addresses, and devices changing IP addresses on a regular basis.
    I'm going to stop running fing until I figure this out...
  • Acc2022
    Acc2022 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited June 27, 2022 #8
    I have several options addresses as well. What should I do? Should I be alarmed?? Please advise.
  • Arcee26
    Arcee26 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic

Hello again. In case it got lost in the traffic, may I ask if anyone can elucidate as to why my devices have seemingly developed multiple personality disorder?

Additionally, testing out various Wi-Fi diagnostic apps, the pictured mardis gras of open ports has manifested. May I please enquire of more educated minds as to whether this is just a glitch, or has my router adopted the habits of a “fallen woman” and decided to take on all-commers?

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,060
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have UPnP enabled on your router?  If so you might want to turn it off.  With it on, any device or program on that device can ask for a port to be opened up on the router.  Turn it off and reboot the router to disable anything thats been opened and do a new scan and see what the results are.

Now, the Bo2K is troubling as that is the port a notoriously bad bit of malware uses, backorriface. See this article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Orifice_2000 and https://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/bo2k.shtml.  The trick here, is that its mostly a windows software issue.  Can you confirm you have windows machines on this network?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Arcee26
    Arcee26 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 8, 2022 #11

Thank you Marc for your swift response, I am grateful you took the time.

Firstly, UPnP is turned off on my Homehub.

I, myself no longer possess a (operational) Windows based machine…

•deep breath

Your observation regarding Bo2K, quite depressingly would be no great surprise. As a criminal investigation is currently progressing relating to a very concerning case of stalking/harassment/intimidation I’ve been the target of, quite recently we’ve observed anomalies etc.

Actually, aware of how obsessive the guilty suspects are and how pernicious their ongoing quest is to surveil me, recent evidence supported another real-time platform. See attached image.