AWS Server issue - affecting Fing Services (FIXED)

CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,081
1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
admin

UPDATE 10TH DEC, 10:00 CET:   We will be performing a scheduled server reboot today to help resolve any outstanding connectivity issues follow the recent AWS outage.

Issue description:
From approximately 00:30 CET 8th December, we experienced an outage on our servers that have been working intermittently since this time. The root cause related to a server degradation issue with AWS (Amazon Web Services) that impacted some of our services.

How would this impact me as a Fing user?
This issue would have affected all Fing Services and in varying ways 
For example:
  • Fingbox users may have experienced their Fingbox temporarily disconnected (Orange/Red)
  • Cannot log in to your Fing account
  • Account sync issue

Has the issue been fixed?
Yes, our engineering team has taken priority action to resolve.  The situation was completely resolved at 08:12 CET.

This situation is regrettable and we are following up with AWS to ensure this does not happen again.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you to everybody who reported this issue and provided feedback.

The Fing team
Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
marco_from_fingCarlo_from_FingrootedVABelleRichCreedyKingAriannaRomanoMarcProjectCenter_00ArmyPugg53jjrice7788

Comments

• brianmw36brianmw36 Member Posts: 1
    5 Agrees Photogenic
    Who do we notify about Fingbox Outage, I have 2 Fingboxes at 2 differant location and their both down flashing/solid orange.
    jjrice7788
  • PeterPPeterP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 44
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    Same with me, flashing orange and I cannot login to my fing account from my PC's browser either.
    seahorsejjrice7788
  • JrmcanadaJrmcanada Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I have two Fingboxes - one at home and one at work. Two days ago they both started pulsing orange/red and I’m not getting updates. They’re on different networks with different ISP’s.

Any suggestions about how I can get them running again?

Thanks in advance.

James

jjrice7788
  • kgrierkgrier Santa Barbara, CA, USAMember, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    5 Likes First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi Folks - tonight in my hometown my UPS failed during a dropout, which caused my fingbox to power cycle a couple of times. Strangely it then started cycling blue to orange to blue to orange - wash rinse repeat but internet connectivity was fine. Browser attempts to access app.fing.com were slow including repeated "Bad gateway" and NGNIX proxy timeouts. app.fing.com resolves into AWS, I don't know if they are using cloudfront and don't care. I just retired from 32 years of providing status of IT services to my customers. I'd like to know if there is a "status.fing.com" page somewhere so that one can confirm Fing infrastructure status? 

Thanks, Kirk 
    jjrice7788
  • mozarellamozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 113
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    This morning, my three private fingboxes and my two office-fingboxes went offline. After i arrive office this morning, the office-fingboxes went online again and maybe one hour later, my three private fingboxes are back online again. So i think there was an outage at fing.

In my guest-network, i had trouble any time ago, the guest-fingbox didn't connect to internet anymore. I used an old DNS in my internet-router. The private network is using own dns-servers not the router's dns. So i didn't notice that.
    jjrice7788
  • JrmcanadaJrmcanada Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Thank you

jjrice7788
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 40
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    mine went offline last night, and i couldn't sign in here, or the app, or the website, so I concur must have been an outage of some sort

jjrice7788
  • RichCreedyRichCreedy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 40
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    there did appear to be an outage last night, my fingbox went offline, i couldn't log into the app, or website/community.
    jjrice7788
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,081
    admin
    Hi folks, thank you very much for reporting this issue. I have merged each of your posts into this update relating to your query. The issue has now been resolved, apologies for any inconvenience. Thanks, Ciaran
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    RichCreedyjjrice7788
  • Jperry11227Jperry11227 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 7
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary

I reset my fingbox and now it is flashing green. It shows that it is still connected to the previously connected internet. I can not delete because it says cannot update from fingbox. When I scan the network it asks me if I want to activate the fingbox. I press activate and I get authentication failed. Is there a way that you can remove it from my account. This happened when your server went down last night.

jjrice7788
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 62
    First Comment Photogenic
    admin
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Are you having trouble accessing your Fingbox functionalities from the App?.
    jjrice7788
    admin
    Hi, @Jperry11227, I have split your comment into its own post. I can certainly disassociate the Fingbox from your account for you. However, the Fingbox looks like it is connected and operating as expected. Perhaps try power cycling the unit 1st, plugging it back in and leaving for about 30 mins. If the issue still persists, of course I disassociate (the power cycling suggestion may save you some hassle however). Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    jjrice7788

I was wondering because it has been flashing green after I did a full reset on the device.

jjrice7788
  • waynerwayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Why wasn't this issue posted on Twitter?  There were a bunch of users Tweeting about this issue last night (like this:  they were left in the dark.  Why does Fing have a twitter account if they don't use it for circumstances like this?
    jjrice7788
    admin
    @wayner, that is a good suggestion. I will certainly pass on this suggestion to our Marketing & Product teams for consideration moving forward. Thanks.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    jjrice7788
  • BingstrollerBingstroller Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I posted on Twitter last night but as of yet there has been no reply notification.
    When checking @fingapp "tweets and replies" I can see no posts regarding this issue.
    Is there any way to see the posts on @fingapp feed ?
    jjrice7788
  • yellowpikeyellowpike Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    edited December 2020
    Following a full reset last night (followed instructions on webpage) after experiencing flashing red LED some 10 hours later my fingbox appears to be functioning as I can view all devices online and offline
    (report "All good in your network")
    but box is continuing to present constant green LED around entire top of device.
    Thanks in advance
    FYI
    I removed power waited 10 seconds and now LED is solid BLUE

jjrice7788
  • VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 61
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Thank you for posting the update & explaining what happened. Yesterday I kept seeing my Fingbox go from red to blue and back and forth like that for hours. I thought my network was under some kind of cyber attack.

Ciaran
  • waynerwayner Member, Beta Tester Posts: 24
    10 Comments Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Ciaran said:
    @wayner, that is a good suggestion. I will certainly pass on this suggestion to our Marketing & Product teams for consideration moving forward. Thanks.
    Thanks Ciaran.  It seems like no one is paying attention to the @fingapp Twitter feed so getting the Marketing team to keep an eye on this would be a good idea.
    Marcjjrice7788
    admin
    Thanks again @wayner, generally our Marketing department do monitor and respond via Twitter, unfortunately, there is a public holiday in Italy today (where they are based) and hence there is less activity, which is really unfortunate timing. But I am confident we can learn from this situation in order to find a solution moving forward in order to update Twitter as well as Fing Community under such circumstances. Thank you again for highlighting this and providing your feedback. It is genuinely appreciated.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    rootedMarcjjrice7788
  • JoeRaineyJoeRainey Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    edited December 2020
    Fingbox shows solid white LED alternating with faint pink LED, will not boot up, will not mount on network.  Unit working perfectly until last night, when possible AWS outage caused me to think I had a local problem, which is why I reset the unit to begin with.
    jjrice7788
  • MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,004
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 250 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @JoeRaineym, I moved the to the Fingbox section for you for relevance.  @Robin, any idea on how to proceed?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    jjrice7788
    Please disassociate the fingbox from my account so that I can put it back in fresh.  Thank you.
    jjrice7788
  • HelplessHelpless Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    The device worked fine until yesterday.  I changed password and deleted everything.  Reset router.  Nothing.  Stays green flashes.  Will not authenticate.
    jjrice7788
  • HelplessHelpless Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    My Fing device is V1, but the indicator on my Iphone is V2....I downloaded a new Fing and and it looked difference.  It you are going to upgrade the software you need to say that before you do.  I bet this is why my device won't go from green to blu!
    jjrice7788
  • AustinJerryAustinJerry Member Posts: 74
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Yesterday, the Fingbox was displaying a pulsing orange light which, according to the Light Guide, means that the Fingbox cannot access the internet.  However, everything on my WiFi network can access the internet with no problems.  So, I power-cycled the Fingbox, still the orange pulsing light.  Then I rebooted both the cable modem and the wireless router, no change.  This morning I have the Solid Blue light suggesting Normal Operation.  Yet I had an alert on my iPhone from 30 minutes ago that states "Fingbox is OFFLINE", and when I opened the Fing app, the message at the top of the screen says "Your Fingbox <network name> Disconnected", and when I scanned for devices, it clearly shows the Fingbox status as offline.  Now, 30 minutes later, when I scan the network, the Fing Desktop app says the Fingbox is offline, but the Fing app on my iPhone says it is online.  Pinging the device from both apps produces a 100% packet loss.  But the device is still showing a solid blue light.

I am at a loss as to what to do now, and would appreciate any advice.
    Edit:  I just power-cycled it again, and it came back online.  Let's see how long it stays online.  I am disappointed that the Fing app was not more helpful in trouble-shooting this issue.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    jjrice7788
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 774
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an outage with AWS which affected Fing services, it has been resolved.

Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.

jjrice7788
  • kgrierkgrier Santa Barbara, CA, USAMember, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    5 Likes First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi Fing Folks - So, I joined Fingbox with Indiegogo in Nov 2016 and have watched the product/service develop.  Not having a mechanism to notify customers is not OK for a network and system monitoring tool - or any cloud-dependent service.  I'm really kinda stunned after looking at fing.com/business that this does not exist. Anyway, statuspage.io is a tool I have used in my career with good results, with API integration, allowing self-directed customer sub, automation, and not expensive. If you want to spend even less, try UptimeRobot or Freshping. On the plus side for you folks, thanks for explaining what happened. Way too many companies just go dark on their outages.  And AWS is far from perfect, which I think you just found out. - Kirk  
    Chuckles_Grjjrice7788
  • JoeRaineyJoeRainey Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    Update: resolved, via rebooting ethernet switch Fingbox is attached to.  Unknown what was issue, remainder of network attached to that same switch had no known problems - had swapped ports on switch to no avail already.  Didn't think to reboot switch as all else seemed perfect.
    Marcjjrice7788
  • Chuckles_GrChuckles_Gr CanadaMember Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Is there still an issue with the Fing system {11:34 am PST}.

The LEDs are solid blue but I see 0/156 devices?

Chuck G.

Victoria BC Canada

jjrice7788