Xfi won't properly reserve IP address for device; printers show as unconnected
Hi. Posting this here because Comcast hasn't a clue.
I just switched from a third party router to the Comcast xfi gateway. I hate that there's no network map, that only MAC addresses rather than common language names show on the connected device list, and that I can't change host names in the edit dialogues, but I was allowed to change the LAN address to its previous state (to 192.168.0.x from 10.0.0.x), and the gateway is working okay with two exceptions:
(1) I tried re-reserving at the same IP addresses the MAC addresses of devices that I previously reserved on the old router. Everything seems to be okay on that score except for one device, a Sonore microRendu audio streamer, which keeps reverting to the same DHCP-assigned address. With my old router, it was at 192.168.0.6, but now it's always reachable only at 192.168.0.246, even after the assignment page tells me it has saved the new address and the connected devices list shows it at the new address.
I have disconnected the device from the network and, after ten minutes or so, can tell the gateway via the phone app to "forget this device," but it always comes back on at the same 192.168.0.246 address. My old router would allow me to disconnect and forget a device instantaneously, but this one doesn't seem to do that, and "forget this device" definitely doesn't work. (I note that others posting in the Comcast forums have had the same issue and there's been no solution posted other than to try "forget this device." There must be something one can do to make "forget" a useful option.)
(2). My two printers definitely are connected to the network as I have been able to print off to them from my computer and can ping them, but the router interface, the Xfinity webpage, and the Xfinity app all show them as disconnected. It isn't a big deal because they are working okay, but how can I get them to be recognized as connected?
Thanks for your help!
- 4.9K All Categories
- 2.6K Ask about Connected Technology
- How To...
- 927 Devices & Security
- 1.5K Network Troubleshooting & Connectivity
- 100 General Discussion, Weird & Wonderful
- 37 Network Infrastructure
- 4.4K Ask about Fing
- 406 Fing Account Change Request
- 865 Fing Desktop
- 1.1K Fing App
- 1.5K Fingbox
- 467 Announcements, Beta Testing & Release Notes
- 147 Community Updates
- 19 Getting started
- 11 Community User Guides