Device Name Change not Saved?

Hi!
I had renamed all devices on my prior network scan and also recognized details if there was no automatic recognition... today I went into my list, Fing asks me to set the network type home/office/public, I do and all devices are back to default names..
Did I do something wrong?
This is terrible work for 40+ devices.. :(
Thanks
IndyW

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,761
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @JPf
    Did you delete or make changes to Fing desktop network on mobile app? Did you scan the same subnet in which you saved your names?
    Can you check under Fing mobile app and open Fing desktop network and see if you are able to see saved name or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JPf
    JPf Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hey Robin,
    no, nothing had been changed. It was just over night, last night I had entered all the names, this AM I scanned with the described result.
    It as all on the desktop app. I've opened the mobile app on the iPhone, it says "unknown network" (which is odd!) and no saved names.
    Btw I had used a fing box in the past, but took it off the network a few weeks back as I network hiccups, which stopped after the box was removed. But I wanted find functionality, so went premium in the app.
    "Fun fact", while I had the box on/in the same network I had already named all devices... no network change since then, same account. So I actually was expecting the mobile/desktop app to recognize my devices and was surprised that wasn't the case...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @JPf
    To isolate the problem, can you delete all networks from your Fing mobile app given all customizations are already lost? And then please make sure location permissions are enabled for your Fing app and then run a scan for network and then save names for some devices.
    Go to account setting by clicking on Avatar Icon and open Account storage and hit 'Synchronize' and then check scanning again and again if the name disappear or not? Also, if you are using any apple device and using ios14, please make sure to disable the Private MAC address from Wifi settings.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • JPf
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hey Robin,
    in the meantime I deleted all networks, re-checked the sync and setup all devices freshly.
    So far after 24h they all kept their name and sync across iPad, iPhone and desktop app.
    Crossing my finger and having no clue why it failed last time...
  • JPf
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hm, unfortunately I am back at square one...
    This morning the desktop app did flag the orange message box in picture #1; I've selected the home network (again!) and refreshed the scan.

After the scan finished some devices do show the name I've entered some don't. I've highlighted a few examples that reverted back to something generic:

And now comes the odd part - the iOS app in the same network shows the names I had saved a few days back for these devices:

How can that be?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @JPf
    Can you check on Fing mobile app if you have multiple networks of same name?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Chulamin
    Chulamin Member Posts: 10
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have a similar situation. And here is another "fun fact". If I try to make the change from the Windows's app, the device list changes to showing only the online devices of which the list has other wrong information regarding changed IP numbers but the item that I just changed keeps the change. However, if I do a refresh, all the items return to the list with the correct information for IP numbers etc...but the item I just changed reverts to the old name. What makes it even more maddening is that if I filter the list back to online only, the corrected name change shows but again, the old IP information of other devices comes back. There really is a problem with the Windows desktop app although I can't say with which build it began.
    Also, I have deleted the app from all other devices to make sure there was no contamination from them.
  • Chulamin
    ....and yes, I did reinstall and wiped all folders and registry entries before to be sure.
  • Chulamin
    Update: I reinstalled the app on my phone and made the changes there. They now show up on the desktop app....go figure. It seems strange because the desktop is supposed to be the primary source to scan the network. I'm not sure if that's the way its supposed to work but it does.