Refresh in Fing app inaccurate

apos111
apos111 Member Posts: 7
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
edited November 25, 2020 in Fing App #1

Hi all, I have been using fing (free) for a couple of weeks now. I have noticed that the refresh function isn't very accurate. When I do a scan some devices which are up Fing thinks that are down. I know they are up because they have static IPs and I can ping them from my mobile phone and everywhere else at the same time. I need to do a refresh a few times in a row, or even wait few minutes and refresh until fing eventually has an accurate view of what is up and what is down. I have confirmed this with devices that have static IPs, I have seen it happening with switches, security cams etc and it's quite consistent. Anyone else experienced this? Thanking you in advance!

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Thanks @Marc @apos111
    We recently found out that there is a minor issue within the App that is mixing the source of information across discovery rounds. This cause devices to be correctly identified on the first scan round (until 50% of the scan), but then something goes wrong with the detection of devices from the ARP table and the app fallback to IP only ARP entries mapped over the Fake MAC address: 02:00:00:00:00:00
    This MAC address creates a new Node in the network and all the detected IPs are collapsed on it. This issue affects Android 10 and Android 11 only, so far we detected it only on Samsung devices but it may happen on others too, and it’s due to some new limitations introduced by Google. We fixed the problem already and we will release a new version of the app shortly which will cover the fix. 

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @apos111, I moved this to the Fing App section for relevance.  You could try setting the maximum network size to better match your actual network size.  It could make recognition faster..Its in the app section under your account icon on the mobile app Home Screen
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • apos111
    apos111 Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Hi @marc, unfortunately it didn't make any difference. Requires multiple retries until all my online devices appear online. And I know that there is no packet loss in my network... I became premium member this AM, and now that I do have email & push notifications (didn't work as free), I can see that fing's view of my network isnt reliable: seems that devices are bouncing up and down when they shouldn't. And I wonder why. Same with the desktop app....I did a bit packet sniffing and saw lots of ARP requests to random IPs (I guess thats the new device detection method) and one ICMP request per monitored device. But not sure whether what's being sent by Fing is what is supposed to be sent. Does one lost ICMP pkt mean a device is marked down? Even so, I can ping those boxes just fine.... Very confused....

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the response. Let me tag @Robin from Fing and see if he has any insight into this.

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...