Resetting Fingbox for new network SSID and IP range (replaced router)

EndureChaos
EndureChaos Member Posts: 3
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I know there's multiple threads on this sort of topic, but I'm unable to follow any of them, because (I think) either the info is out of date, or it's ambiguous which "app" people are talking about.

So I've replaced by router, for a different brand.  I've decided to give it a different SSID, and change the IP range from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0,x

I've been unable to clear anything in the Android app, so I used the App (dot) fing (dot) com site to remove random networks.  it now shows I have no networks (in the web app)
I've removed the Fing Desktop App from my PC.
I've cleared all data for the Fing Android App.  And signed in again on it.

From now on I'm referring to only the Android version when I say "app"

When I open the app I see the "Your FingBox" is showing the old SSID name, and the Current Wi-FI is showing the new one.

If I scan the devices in the app (using the "Scan for devices" button which is bouncing around, clearly wanting me to tap it...  it adds both networks back to what I can see in the Web App.
If I tap on the old network (Hermes) in the Android app, and go to the network tab, the SSID is Hermes, and the MAC address is not one of the radios on the new router.

So clearly, the Fingbox is remembering this.

Instructions in these forums repeatedly say to:
       Click on the ‘Home‘ tab
       Choose ‘All Networks’ (under the ‘Scan for devices’ button) screen which contains a list of all your     networks.
However, I'm not able to find an "All Networks" section in the app, nor am I able to long-press anything as described elsewhere.  Also, there's mention of swiping left/right, but nothing in the app is swipe-able (I'm guessing the app has updated since these posts).

I'm aware there's a reset option on the FingBox itself.  I'll have to buy (steal) a paperclip from somewhere for that, as I can't fit my SIM removal tool in since the hole is right in the corner.  However, it's unclear from the forums whether I'll be able to use the FingBox after that, as there seems to be a security step that stops someone from stealing it, resetting it, and using it in their own network.

Any advice please?  Thanks.

G

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @EndureChaos, have a look at this thread on resetting ...  Let us know if it helps...  https://community.fing.com/discussion/1069/complete-fingbox-reset

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • EndureChaos
    edited November 22, 2020 #3
    Marc said:
    Hi @EndureChaos, have a look at this thread on resetting ...  Let us know if it helps...  https://community.fing.com/discussion/1069/complete-fingbox-reset

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your response.  I'd already read that post.
    The only answer in there which doesn't suggest long-pressing, or swiping gestures in the app didn't work for the poster.
    The follow-up answers all list one of those 2 gestures.  Neither of which I'm able to find in the mobile app.  I therefore don't want to start down that route until I can clear up what to do in the app precisely.
    Also, the part about "Then after you can deactivate your account if necessary to move to a new one" is disconcerting, since this is linked to my Google account which I use for everything.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,709
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    understood.  @Robin, I don’t have an Android device to troubleshoot, perhaps you can help out?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @EndureChaos , I am sending you a private message to get more information off of you, to troubleshoot further. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• EndureChaos
    Further info will be provided in the next couple of days.... it's been one of those weeks