Fingbox goes offline after a short time and can't recover

ChrisTheDJ
ChrisTheDJ Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
Hi
I've been struggling with my Fingbox for a while. It works for a little while, then goes offline. Sometimes it still has an IP address on the network but doesn't connect. I can see other people have had this issue on and off down the years but there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution. Any ideas? 
Tagged:

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,885
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @ChrisTheDJ

As we have investigated the reason for Fingbox going Offline, there are two reasons:  

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP. 

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to. 

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. As you restart the Fingbox, it forces the network to reach its full speed but if there is any damage on the cable, the speed will drop thus leading to Offline. 

I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if it is still losing connection or not. 

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 
     To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ChrisTheDJ
    Thanks for your response. I've wired the Fingbox directly into the router with a CAT6 cable, the modem is connected directly to the BT test socket already and the router log shows no outages. The network is set to 128 devices, reflecting the 70-odd I have on the network. I've reserved an IP address for Fingbox. Came down this morning and the same thing has happened.  Anything else to try? 
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks @ChrisTheDJ
    Does the Fingbox come back when you reboot the Fingbox or router? Can you check if the ports required for Fingbox are still open or not?

You need to have ports 80, 443, 4443, 5671 open so the Fingbox can connect to the Fing Software servers. 

(If you are going to run a speed test, please also have ports 3001, 3002, and 3003 enabled also) 

• 80 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 443 (Fing Service and Software Updates) 

• 3001, 3002, 3003 (Internet Speed Test) 

• 4443 (Fing Service) 

• 5671 (Fing Diagnostics) 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • ChrisTheDJ
    Hi - all ports are open. Unplugging and plugging back in makes the background LED light up for about 20 seconds then die again. It takes a couple of hours unplugged to give it any chance of connecting up again. 
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @ChrisTheDJ, I have sent you a private message in order to troubleshoot further (as we will need more information relating to your unit). Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• Warner
    Warner Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hi, I'm having the same problem as ChrisTheDJ. My fingbox has been given a static IP address and is connected directly to the router with a CAT6 cable. When it goes offline I am unable to ping the device on the local network. The only way to get the fingbox back online is to power cycle it.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Warner said:
    Hi, I'm having the same problem as ChrisTheDJ. My fingbox has been given a static IP address and is connected directly to the router with a CAT6 cable. When it goes offline I am unable to ping the device on the local network. The only way to get the fingbox back online is to power cycle it.
    I have replied to you via support ticket. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)