Wrong MAC address recognition

Hi,

Fing recognize wrong MAC Address for one of my D-Link router.
Fing reports: 12:62:EB:xx:xx:xx while in fact it is: 10:62:EB:xx:xx:xx
Searching for MAC address which starts with number "12" using page: https://maclookup.app/ gives following result:

Info

No vendor for this MAC: 12:62:EB:xx:xx:xx. This MAC can be transmitted when a device is not associated with an access point. In this case, it can be considered randomized.

What is the reason for such behavior?

Thanks,

Mariusz

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Mario_MarioMario_Mario Member Posts: 10
    First Comment Photogenic
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
    Many thanks for explanation. This thread can be closed. I will ask this question on D-Link Service Portal.
    Thanks,
    Mariusz

Answers

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 163
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    MAC Addresses the begin with x2-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, x6-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, xA-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, and xE-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx, are considered "locally administered MAC addresses". Locally administered MAC addresses can be used to "override" a "burned-in" MAC address, or used to create "virtual" MAC addresses. Unfortunately, Fing will not be able to identify those types of MAC addresses. However, as you pointed out, it is, most likely, a MAC address created by your D-Link router, since the rest of the MAC address, except for the "12", matches the "10" MAC address. Many routers have the ability for a "guest network". The "guest network" is, often, separate from your personal wifi network. The "guest network" is, generally, created via the router's software (VLAN). It will create a "locally administered MAC address", to create the separate "guest network" (BSSID). It will have its own SSID, like MyHomeWifi_guest, and have a DHCP server (separate from your personal wifi network), to assign IP addresses to the devices that connect to it. To be able to reach the Internet, from the "guest network", it will use your router's IP, for the gateway. If the "guest network" is enabled on your D-Link router, that could be why Fing "sees" it, but cannot identify it. To test, turn the "guest network" off, and see if it disappears, or shows "offline", in Fing. Some routers, also, offer the ability to create VLANs, or up to 4 possible separate wifi networks, which, could be another reason why you see the "local" MAC address. Hope this helps.
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi,

Many thanks for eplanations. Howewer I am not sure if your description match my issue.
    D'Link router is model DAP-1620. It works as Extender. It has static assigned IP address, no DHCP, static DNSes.
    See also section Extender.
    There is no quest network active on Extender and main router.
    Any ideas?

✭✭✭
    It's possible the range extender may only have one (1) physical MAC address, for connecting to the "existing network", or for the ethernet port, and using "local" MAC addresses for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi extended networks. Can you post a screenshot from the Fing app?
    Robin
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi,
    Here is screenshot.
    Thanks,
    Mariusz
    ✭✭✭
    I have a TP-Link extender, that shows a "regular" MAC address. Unfortunately, D-Link doesn't have much, on their "support" site, or anything about their extender using "local" MAC addresses. May want to ask the question on a D-Link forum, etc. My guess is they use a "local" MAC(s) for extending the wifi network, and a physical one, for the ethernet port. Using a "local" MAC is cheaper (via software), than putting two, physical MACs on the extender, itself. It's common practice and isn't anything to worry about.
    First Comment Photogenic
    Hi,
    One more comment in this topic. I have checked how MAC address for D-Link Extender DAP-1620 are reported in other tools.
    Using inSSIDer - shows correct MAC address. Actually it shows two:
    (1) 2,4Ghz interface (10:62:EB:00:89:20)
    (2) 5Ghz interface (10:62:EB:00:89:22)
    Other tool Win10 WiFi Analyzer report the same as above.
    So seems that Fing report second MAC address used for 5Ghz interface but change first 2 digits from "10" to "12".
    Looks like kind of the bug but I am not the expert and I may be wrong.
    Thanks,
    Mariusz