Different and incorrect device details.

jnc
jnc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 22
10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
Hi, I'm a bit confused about the device recognition feature and would like some help please...  Here's the problem:  Using the Fing App and looking at my FingBox network I can see my four AP's  They're all identical Aruba units but two show as being identified as Brother printers.  When I try to correct this I'm not given the option from the list of devices to name them the same as the other two, correctly identified, devices.  Bizarrely, using the Fing Desktop all four devices appear correctly identified.

My questions:  1) Why is the desktop app, correctly, identifying the devices when my FingApp/Box does not;
2) How can I manually enter/override a device description that is not offered from the list provided using the search function on the Fing App?

Thanks,
Jon C

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @jnc
    To answer your questions
    1) With new Android and Apple O.S versions, the location permissions are mandatory for the Fing App to operate and identify all the devices on the network. If you have not enabled the location permissions then every time you scan the network then Fing App will not be able to display the access point name and the device customizations will be lost and revert to the default value(Generic).
    These restrictions are not implemented on the desktop devices thus making it easier for Fing desktop to identify devices correctly.
    2) To manually identify the misidentified device, I would suggest to:   
    • Sign in to Fing app 

• Go to Device List    

• Click on the misrecognised device. 

• Below the device name and O.S you will find a text saying "Did we get this right?"  

• If you click on (thumbs_down icon) then it will allow you to manually enter the correct O.S and model of device. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • jnc
    Hi Robin,
    Thanks for your response but unfortunately I think my issue is deeper than that.  

I have Fing on three iOS devices all of which have location services enabled for Fing.  However the erroneous/differing devices identification is not primarily when I scan my network but specifically when I look at my Fingbox.  Ruling out iOS all together, when I access my account through a web browser I see the same incorrect identification information.  However when I scan my network using the desktop app under windows the identification is correct.

Can you shed any light on why this may be and corrective actions please?

Thanks again,
    Jon C
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    To confirm @jnc
    You are enquiring that why Fing desktop is more precise in identifying the devices than mobile app. Is that right?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • jnc
    Hi Robin, 
    Forgive my ignorance on the exact functional differences between the FingBox, Fing iOS App, Fing Desktop App and the Fing Web Portal but to me it appears that the information presented to the iOS App and Web Portal by the FingBox is inferior to that shown by the Desktop App.   Below are three views of my network:
    iOS App:

Web Portal:

Desktop App:

The devices with IP's .6 thru .9 are all identical Aruba Access Points.
    The iOS view, of my FingBox network, corresponds to the view on the Web Portal identifying two devices correctly and two incorrectly.  As an aside I do have a Brother QL-710W printer on my network that is identified correctly.

Question:  Why does the FingBox not correctly identify two of Aruba AP's?

Turning to the view presented by the Desktop App, this identifies three of the AP's correctly but still thinks one is a different device.
    Question: Why?

Thanks again Robin.  I hope the above is clear and helps explain the issue I'm facing.

Cheers,
    Jon C
  • jnc
    Hi Robin,

Just to add a little more information to this: Looking at the Fing Desktop App this morning it has changed the description of my four access points again.  They are now showing as two printers, one AP and one Amazon Echo device.  I have not made any changes to my network.

Cheers,
    Jon C
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Thanks for screenshots @jnc
    With Fingbox as the network monitoring is continuous, I want you to make sure you have added all access points to your Fingbox network so all devices can be correctly identified.
    With Fing app and Fing desktop, there is always little discrepancy as the scan is done on best effort basis and the scan is run against various protocols and their reply is being identified.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • jnc
    Hi Robin,
    Can you please explain how I can confirm my AP's have been added to my Fingbox network?  FYI all of the AP's are hardwired and reside in the same subnet as my Fingbox.
    Regarding the scans, am I right in thinking that if I select my Fingbox network, the app does not itself scan but takes its information from the Fingbox similar to the view presented on the Web portal?  
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @jnc
    Apologies for late reply. In order to add the access point for Fingbox, first you need to be connected to the access point network which you want to add. Then open the Fing App and choose the Fingbox network from the dropdown list. Go to the ‘Network’ tab and select either Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection or Wi-Fi Performance and you will be able to add the Access point for the current network your device is connected to. You can only add the Access point either from the Wi-Fi Performance tab or Wi-Fi Intrusion Protection tab.  

After Adding the access point, you will receive the New Access point alert and you need to accept it as a trusted gateway and the access point will be added successfully.

Robin (Admin at Fing)