MLab test server

mixxon
mixxon Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic

I have trouble with my Fing app speedtest. The server it gives me is too far away! I once got a server nearby but normally I get a server >500km away... why can’t I have the option to choose freely? It differ ~30 to 10ms between the two servers in response time and always much lower speeds compared too other speedtest services around...

Answers

• Sparks
    Sparks Member, Beta Tester Posts: 86
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020 #2
    I am not sure if I am connected directly to the server that is locked into the app!  I don't think I am as I have a 1 gig connection with Xfinity and I usually test at around 890 and an upload of 42.  Using your speed test today I am getting .05 down and 15 up.  If I use Speed test net or Google fiber or Xfinity speed test I am getting what is expected. So I think the server in your speed test is having faults but my system is running well.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Sparks
    Can you please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

That is the partner we use for speed measurement, so if Fing desktop results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Sparks
    ✭✭
    Yes M-Lab is somewhere close look below. But that necessary doesn't help when the server they choose to use is faulty as it was yesterday. Notice upload speed is way off.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback @Sparks
    I have moved this post to our Installation & Performance category. I will share this feedback with our developers. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • dslibby
    dslibby Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Having a very similar issue here in Zurich. I have Gigabit connect from Swisscom and it tests fine using other channels. Fingbox is pointing to Mlab in Milan and basically peaking incoming and putgoing traffic tests at circa 500Megabits... so half of the actual.

I’m assuming this makes the regular data collected pretty unrealizable and if it’s happening for a large number of users, this is messing-up the ratings of providers, might want to avoid publishing such unreliable data if you don’t want to get pursued by angry telcos once they catch wind of it. ;-) could be awkward.

Otherwise I still most of the stuff my Fingbox does. So thanks for that. :-)

• Sparks
    ✭✭
    Yes I agree, I have tried four other speed test sites and all show similar results. But MLabs is way off.
    dslibby
  • dslibby
    This is still a problem, my fingbox v2 cannot handle anything above 500 or so Mb/s ... raised this in February, it's November. One of the primary features of a Fingbox is have the possibility to hold your ISP to account when there is a disparity between the product/service level agreement and the reality. This is not possible with MLabs. I have work arounds, but I want my FinBox to be working as expected, please can you guys do something. @Robin
     https://community.fing.com/profile/Robin
    [Deleted User]
  • dslibby
    edited November 1, 2020 #9
    This is the result from Fingbox v1 using the iOS app.
    • It defaults to Milan in Italy.
    • My router is in Zürich, Switzerland
    • Fingbox is connected directly to the router
    • Provider is Swisscom

This is the result from the Swisscom Home App which runs the test directly from my router.
    It's FTTH and I'm paying for 1Gb in and 1 Gb out.
    As you can see the result is somewhat different.
    If I do a test using Ookla from my PS4 (connected directly to the router) selecting almost any target test server in Switzerland and some outside, I get similar results to my provider. 
    Please allow us to switch to fast.com or some other more reliable measurement service, MLab is just not making the grade.

[Deleted User]
  • Thirganor
    Thirganor Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Same here in Germany. With Speedtest, I'm reaching up to 940mbps... Fingbox only gives me up to 500 roundabout.

dslibby
  • dslibby
    pikatoste said:

Everything is the same for me.

Fingbox rarely exceeds 520 MBps. I find it pitiful and totally useless.

yeah, something this rudimentary should be a priority to fix... I love Fing and have a subscription but this if this isn't fixed by year's end I will not renew. It's simply too fundamental to the whole utility of the system.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @dslibby
    I have got in touch with M-labs, our speed test partner and they told us they don't have any servers in Switzerland and that is why it is picking up the next closest server automatically for speed test. I am sorry but in this case, there isn't much we can do.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • dslibby
    Robin said:
    Hi @dslibby
    I have got in touch with M-labs, our speed test partner and they told us they don't have any servers in Switzerland and that is why it is picking up the next closest server automatically for speed test. I am sorry but in this case, there isn't much we can do.
    Hi @Robin, thank you for your response.
    Frankly speaking, "..there isn't much we can do." is a wholly uninspiring response to hear as a customer.
    I'm not easily dissuaded and have faith in fing, so here are some questions and suggestions that come to mind:
    • What about @Thirganor in Germany and @pikatoste in Spain? (see above)
    • Are M-Labs missing servers in Germany and Spain too?
    • How about challenging M-Labs to get a seat in a POP in Switzerland in order to satisfy Swiss customers needs?
    • How about switching providers and going with fast.com (i.e. Netflix) or partnering with Ookla.
    Apparently M-Labs aren't performing very well in the performance test arena.... ironically.
    Over to you....
    Sparks[Deleted User]
  • tcoombs
    tcoombs Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

I’m having the same problem with the speed test. When I test with Speedtest I get 75Mbps download speed but Fing only reports around 7Mbps! My box is also connecting to the Milan server...this has now been happening for around 2 or 3 weeks. Beforehand fing was reporting around the same results for Speedtest.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback @dslibby
    As you are well aware M-labs servers are picked automatically, hence I said there is not much we can do on their behalf and trying to be as much transparent as I can be. But to address your other points, @Thirganor @pikatoste Can you open this site and then check if the same servers are being selected or different: https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/
    Switching providers is something I can pass on as a suggestion to our Product and Development team and hopefully, it will be considered for future releases.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    dslibby
  • dslibby
    Robin said:
    Thanks for the feedback @dslibby
    As you are well aware M-labs servers are picked automatically, hence I said there is not much we can do on their behalf and trying to be as much transparent as I can be. But to address your other points, @Thirganor @pikatoste Can you open this site and then check if the same servers are being selected or different: https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/
    Switching providers is something I can pass on as a suggestion to our Product and Development team and hopefully, it will be considered for future releases.

Thank a lot for your response and your efforts, your attention to the problem and offer to pass it along to Prod Mgrs etc. is much appreciated. It would be tremendous to see this key feature functioning correctly, at which point I'll start recommending fing to others again.
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • Daveyboi
    Daveyboi Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    Not sure what service or site you are using for your testing, but https://speedtest.net lets you choose a different server to test with.  
    mixxon
  • mixxon
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited November 14, 2020 #18

Thank you Daveyboi for your advice. But I’m talking about the Fing Speedtest by MLabs within the Fing app. ’speedtest.net’ is a great service as well as the more simplified ’fast.com’.

Daveyboi
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,028
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mixxon, you could post a feature request to the Fing devs to see if they would consider adding this to the Fing app.  Go to this area, write up your request and make sure you upvote it as well.  https://community.fing.com/categories/feature-requests
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    mixxon
  • mixxon
    First Comment Photogenic
    Give the option to choose server. I live in Sweden but gets a server >500km away in the northern of Norway. Sometimes I get the Stockholm server but very rarely... 
    dslibby[Deleted User]
  • mixxon
    First Comment Photogenic
    As suspected I wasn't alone, so I posted a comment in  an excisting request. Hopefully it will do the trick! Thanx Marc!