FING Scan shows router has multiple devices

AteenaAteena Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic
edited November 12 in Devices & Security

Hi ,

I ran a fing scan of my wifi network and my router shows 1+9 devices. Please see screenshot. Is this normal ?

When I re ran it it shows just 1 individual modem router and all other devices listed normally.

Please help me understand.

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Ateena
    Do you have any additional access point like extender/Repeater and are there any devices connected to it which may explain multiple IP addresses?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • AteenaAteena Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi Robin,

I just have 1 unit which is a router modem dsl that has 2.4g and 5g and all my devices are connected to it. I had the same issue multiple ip addresses when i ran fing with my previous router modem. I have no repeater or extender . Wonder if this is a security issue ?

Thanks ! A lot!

• HendrikHendrik Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

No worries it's normal . Just dive into the DHCP settings from the main router there you find the info . Most likely you have set up or by defauld the local dhcp starting IP and amount of users as it is now you can add more accespoints that will not have an active dhcp server , the mean dhcp server gives the IP pool your next access point should get the IP 192.168.2.2 and DHCP off . As you can see the other devices all have an IP that starts above 192.168.2.9 (your pool starts most likely @ 192192.168.2.10

• ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 150
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    Does your router have the capability for a "guest" wifi network? If so, is it enabled/are you using the "guest" network?
  • Flowerpowercandy8Flowerpowercandy8 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

When I ran a scan the little wavy thingy shows up as hers does is that just my router ? I’m new at this . And I also see my Apple phone connected nothing else . If I took off that “device” this router will it disconnect my internet ?

First Comment Photogenic
    Scooby said:
    Does your router have the capability for a "guest" wifi network? If so, is it enabled/are you using the "guest" network?
    Guest network is disabled

First Comment Photogenic
    Hendrik said:

No worries it's normal . Just dive into the DHCP settings from the main router there you find the info . Most likely you have set up or by defauld the local dhcp starting IP and amount of users as it is now you can add more accespoints that will not have an active dhcp server , the mean dhcp server gives the IP pool your next access point should get the IP 192.168.2.2 and DHCP off . As you can see the other devices all have an IP that starts above 192.168.2.9 (your pool starts most likely @ 192192.168.2.10

Hi Hendrik,
    Let me take a look at my router dhcp settings and get back to this discussion if this is a possible resolution.
  • ShooterShooter Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks to @Ateena for posting this particular issue.

In pretty much the same way that @Ateena described their situation, over the past several months I've had various devices show up on the app's device list (from FingBox) with their normal IP address + "n" device IPs (from 1 extra IP to many extra IPs).

IIRC, Apple products are what get listed the most as described above. However, the one device that concerns me most when it occasionally shows up on the device list in this way is my FingBox. I have included a recent screenshot that shows my FingBox with an additional 7 IP addresses. None of the devices that will show up on the device list with additional IPs, will keep those IPs for very long. Like @Ateena, we also do not have any extenders/repeaters, and we only have our one Comcast/Xfinity -provided, Arris, Dual-band Modem/Router. Our network does include an enabled, secure hotspot for guests, as well as an unsecured, public hotspot. 

Although I am concerned that this phenomena could be a security issue, for now it remains only a curiosity since ultimately I don't find that anything bad happens to our network or connected devices However, since I'm not an IT expert, maybe something is happening that shouldn't be, or someone is doing something that I should know about. So, I really would like to know why these extra IPs show up with certain devices without any discernable reason for it.

Any insight as to why these extra IPs show up with certain network devices would be greatly appreciated! 

• GDDGDD Member Posts: 10
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

I cannot explain to anyone why the router is listed twice as OP @Ateena has asked and/or why a Fingbox would show multiple times as @Shooter mentions.

That said, I can explain what I believe to be part of the issue you are facing being the Apple device side of things @Shooter and here it is ...

In the latest versions of iOS for both iPhone and iPad ... as well as in the latest android releases ... the ability exists to make the MAC address of the device Private in much the same way as the ability exists to spoof a MAC for example, in Debian based Linux distros such as Mint and Ubuntu via a simple selection in the network configuration.

This is a great security feature regardless of the OS or device in question because when out and about connecting to multiple public wifi, the tracking of devices is limited by the Private MAC feature.

In getting to the point, the problem with this is on a trusted home network where the router has been configured with MAC filtering data ... because if you remove the device from Fing it will simply re-add itself either pretty much straight away or when the device goes out and about and then back into the home premises.

The solution therefore is to either:

a) Disable MAC filtering on the router which I personally don't like doing or ...

b) Disable the Private MAC feature of the device/s causing the issue

Note ... so with b) as the preferred solution here at least, I assume it would not be a problem to enable and use the Private MAC feature of an iPhone for example when far enough away from the home router ... that is, enable it when out and about and disable it again far enough out from getting home so it doesn't create a listing.

I know it looks very suspicious seeing them repeatedly popup because I experienced it myself until figuring this out but that is the issue there.

So where is this Private MAC feature you may ask ...

iPhone/iPad see:

Settings > Wi-Fi > i (information) icon > Private Address (toggle)

Android: same sort of deal as per iPhone/iPad

• ShooterShooter Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hey GDD, 

Thank you for your input on this matter, especially reminding me that Apple's update to v.14 is causing this issue, rather than a potential security issue. However, although this explains the extra IPs for the individual iPhones with family access on our network, I don't intuitively understand how the Apple Private MAC setting might be causing all these extra IPs listed with the FingBox!

Could it be because I monitor our Wifi network with the Fing app from my Android tablet running the Pie (v.9)update?

To reiterate and clarify, whenever I've coincidentally been on the Fing app and noticed these unknown extra IPs being listed with the FingBox, they don't remain listed for very long. For example, in the time it takes to leave the Device List tab to check out the listings on the Digital Fence and return, the extra IPs will likely no longer be listed. So although I suspect that there isn't any security issue that could be exploited, I would prefer knowing why this phenomena occurs. 

As for how to resolve the issue, I'm with you in that I prefer to keep MAC Filtering enabled. And since none of the iPhones are mine, I'll just live with the way these phones will generate a new MAC every now and then, rather than inconvenience my wife and kids with having to manually disable/re-enable the private MAC feature setting on their phones. It would be nice if the app would automatically throw out each old MAC whenever a new one is generated due to the Private MAC feature.  
  • GDDGDD Member Posts: 10
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

Hey @Shooter ... I don't think the Apple devices could or would list as another extra IP in relation to the Fing app/ Fingbox (and that is if I am actually understanding the entire issue correctly).

That said, the ONLY thing I would envisage that might, and it's a big might ... potentially throw something like that out from an Apple device perspective is if the Apple device were acting as the WAP/Hotspot being monitored by Fing for your home network with the Private MAC feature somehow mixing into the entire scenario ... again ... this is only a thought/ pure speculation and probably better not considered.

I do apologize if I raised to high of an expectation for a full resolution but the fact of the matter in what I am throwing into the wild is that I have no further input into what I read into the problem perse. I have not personally experienced the issue myself (the worst I see on my end is an old, incorrect wifi SSID listed under Home > Network and that is something that is really pestering me ... that is an entirely different issue though and I guess we all see our own anomolies)

Without attempting to hijack this thread a great deal more ... and if I did at all it was certainly not my intention, another thing I would almost lay my money on is that it does not relate to your Android tablet and I say this because I run the Fing app ... to monitor my V1 Fingbox ... from a phone running Android 10. Prior to that I ran Version 9 and at no time have I personally experienced similar symptoms as described in relation to extra IP's showing up for Fing/Fingbox ... not to say it isn't possible I guess but ...