Unknown device

ErnieBernieErnieBernie Member Posts: 12
First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic

Hi there, since 10 days an unknown device is trying to get online in my network. I have no clue what it can be. Luckily the Fingbox is doing his work and blocks the device. I have not added or changed anything in the network. All the other connected devices are working.

I remove it every day but the day after it returns under a new ip address.

Anybody experience the same or any idea how to stop this or identity the device?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Disaster9976Disaster9976 Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    It appears this could be a repeater or wifi cloning device. Have you tried to hook up any extenders to your wifi network? if so this could be one of them. Try doing a mac vendor lookup online and see what it says. If you still have issues with this device and want some help investigating further let me know!
    ErnieBernie
  • ErnieBernieErnieBernie Member Posts: 12

Hi there. Thanks so much for your reply. I don’t have any extenders installed. I did the vendor lookup but no luck there either. Enclosed a screenshot of the result. What do you think?

• Disaster9976Disaster9976 Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I would add the mac address to your routers block list. Especially if it's not one of your devices.
    Glad I could offer some help!
    ErukeMrAmin_9Perkins

I will do so. Thanks so much for your help.

MrAmin_9Perkins
  • MrAmin_9PerkinsMrAmin_9Perkins Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited November 19

Also on the mac filltering you can also set it to only allow all of your devices mac address only.I find it easier to add my devices to the exception list.That way any other device that isnt yours that tries to connect will automaticly get blocked.

Make sure WPS is disabled if you dont use it and also disable UPNP.Hope it helps.

• daFingdaFing Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    mac addresses can be spoofed. is there a way to have a router associate a mac address to a specific machine id?
    First Comment Photogenic

Yeah i do know macs can be spoofed.Fingbox picks those up too.The user just has to just know the difference and how to spot a spoofed mac address.

With my particular situation,a hacker can spoof all he wants,i have other methods to know when a hacker is at my location while at home.

And to your question all devices have a default mac address assigned to each device,unless that device has the functionality to randomize a mac address without giving up your real mac address.

Keep in mind that there are network operator codes to many devices and or such as ussd codes that if the hacker has the right tools they can connect directly to the device and send many codes to retreive device information.then search fir ways to exploit those devices.

I can’t find the MAC filtering function on Fing to block it for ever. Please help me to find it. Thanks

ps the unknown device still pops up.

First Comment Photogenic

You have to go to the router admin page.your default address to it depends on your router.Type in your name brand of your router on google and along with it,type admin page.Then options will show up

MrArmin - thanks so much. Router is now updated and particular MAC address blocked. Let's see if this device shows up the coming days. If I have done right it should be fine. Thanks again
    MrAmin_9Perkins
    First Comment Photogenic

Another thing you can do is add all of your devices to the whitelist and make sure you set only listed devices below.Then the router will not allow any device to connect unless you add to them.I find this way easier.And your welcome & have a good day.