What does this "Info" thingy mean?

AbqJim
AbqJim Member Posts: 9
First Comment Photogenic
In the Fing Desktop app (v 2.2.2) on my MacBook (Catalina 10.15.7), if I follow from the Home screen to the "See Full Report" link, the next screen displays a BUNCH of items! Some (most) of these items say "Passed" with a check mark in front all enclosed in a green rectangle (also a link). But there are TEN (10) items enclosed in a gray rectangle saying only "Info", and when I click on any of them I get a "Information about your device" box which doesn't seem to tell me ANYTHING OF VALUE. (Perhaps I'm just not smart enough.) It seems to me that ALL IS WELL in my network - the Home screen even says so! - yet there are all of these seemingly unresolved "issues". Can anyone here on this community adequately explain what all this is trying - unsuccessfully - to tell me?

Best Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,028
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Answer ✓
    What you're asking for then are the details on the checks taking place that make this a pass or a fail?  I see some of them are highly detailed while other, like your example above, not so much...

Example of a highly detailed info section for instance...

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • AbqJim
    First Comment Photogenic
    #3 Answer ✓
    So I guess the bottom line is that there is really nothing to worry about UNLESS something really looks like it is out of whack on/in the network. Fort instance, the "Port forwarding..." item actually makes a suggestion that this can and perhaps should be turned off at the router. Through this new "lens" of visibility, I will look at each with a fresh appreciation of what each item it trying to tell me. I guess I was previously looking at these as more of a Pass/Fail sort of issue. Thanks for leading me to a new appreciation of what the Fing Desktop is attempting to do.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #4 Answer ✓
    I’m still thinking that the message in the call out is only becomes relevant if something is horribly wrong.  I’m also guessing Fing is playing to a less technical audience with the Desktop offering so they explain things is very simple language for things that might be very obvious to many of us on this forum.  

Answers

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AbqJim, could you include a screenshot of the info box your not happy with?  I'm including one from mine for reference.  

In most instances, when there is nothing wrong, they are just informational, telling you what the check is for.  Their value pops up when there is something wrong, then they are supposed to give you guidance on the issue.  I don't have an issue going on now so I can't show anything regarding that.

• AbqJim
    First Comment Photogenic
    The one you showed here is the exact same thing I see about my MacBook. In addition, this one is what is being shown about my ASUS router. If there is anything of use in this "Information..." box, I'm not seeing it! All the boxes I review contain, what for me, seems like NON-Information. (eg, nothing of value) To me, all this seems pretty much ignorable! (Guess I must have just made that word up.)