Strange frequent internet disconnection - one device uninterrupted while others lose connection

SunnySunny Member Posts: 4
Name Dropper First Comment
Hello Everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post, apologies that it is somewhat wordy- I have had an internet connectivity issue that has been plaguing me for the past 3 weeks. 

My setup is cable modem in bridge mode with router and WiFi access points.

It started out with random disconnects from the internet (intranet/ home WiFi streaming from NAS is fine) and diagnosing with my ISP shows that my cable modem (which is in bridge mode) was acting up so cable modem was changed and things seem to be fine for a day.

Then the random disconnects started re-occurring 4-5 times a day and each time I would power cycle my router and connectivity would restore.  In checking with my ISP I was told that my cable modem (in bridge mode), has strong signal. In fact, when I am not able to connect online, I can connect to my cable modem via 10.0.0.1 and see that it is in bridge mode and that the internet connection is "active" as per the cable modem only diagnostics.

Then I noticed something very odd- I would be on my laptop (via WiFi), or my desktop (via Ethernet) and I would be chatting with someone on web Whatsapp (in Chrome) uninterrupted, but when I use the same laptop / desktop and try to open a webapage in Chrome, the page would be stuck at "resolving host". - all the while I am able to send / receive message on Whatapp web in the same browser (chrome). Eventually in most cases, my internet connectivity would be lost and then I would have to power-cycle my router again.

Another odd situation would be that my kids would be in a zoom lesson via iPad and I would be unable to initiate any new connection (desktop via Ethernet, laptop, other iPad , iPhone) as well as losing connection on devices that were connected.  All the while the zoom lesson via WiFi on iPad remains uninterrupted!

I thought perhaps there is an IP issue with perhaps my Macbooks, iOS devices or PC so I deleted all the WiFi connections and re-added them, I have disconnected my google and amazon speaker and basically only use my iPad, Macbook for the weekend and these random disconnects still recur, again on power-cycling my router, all would be back to normal in a couple of minutes.

I am at a lost as to what to try, it doesn't seem to be a WiFi issue as this also occur when I am using my desktop via Ethernet, and during these disconnect periods, I am still able to stream via Wifi from my NAS to my Apple TV/ Laptop etc.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards,
Sunny

Best Answers

• PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 25
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Sunny - my first thoughts, stuck on 'resolving host name' suggests there may be an issue with the isp’s DNS (although they would almost certainly be aware of it unless it’s a very intermittent problem). This type of problem could also give the appearance that you’ve lost your internet connection. The error suggests that the hostname you are trying to connect to cannot be resolved to an IP address. (Hostnames are resolved to IP addresses by the DNS (Domain NameServer)). To prove/eliminate this as a potential issue change your DNS server addresses to, for example:- the Google DNS (these are usually much faster than the local isp servers and resolve quicker).
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4
    Alternatively:- Cloudfare (Probably the fastest)
          For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and/or 1.0.0.1

There’s lots of guidance available from a google search should you need it, but this should be able to be set in your router. Let us know if this helps.

Cheers.

Sunny
  • SunnySunny Member Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Accepted Answer
    Pixel said:
    Hi @Sunny - my first thoughts, stuck on 'resolving host name' suggests there may be an issue with the isp’s DNS (although they would almost certainly be aware of it unless it’s a very intermittent problem). This type of problem could also give the appearance that you’ve lost your internet connection. The error suggests that the hostname you are trying to connect to cannot be resolved to an IP address. (Hostnames are resolved to IP addresses by the DNS (Domain NameServer)). To prove/eliminate this as a potential issue change your DNS server addresses to, for example:- the Google DNS (these are usually much faster than the local isp servers and resolve quicker).
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4
    Alternatively:- Cloudfare (Probably the fastest)
          For IPv4: 1.1.1.1 and/or 1.0.0.1

There’s lots of guidance available from a google search should you need it, but this should be able to be set in your router. Let us know if this helps.

Cheers.

Dear Pixel,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post- your suggestion of changing the DNS worked!!! I used 8.8.8.8 and it solved the mystery that has been terrorizing my household for weeks!!! THANK YOU!!!
    I assume the Google DNS is likely the most stable but as you mentioned, Cloufare is fastest- for real world performance would it likely be negligible? I have it fixed now and everyone is happy so I don't want to mess with a good thing.
    Again, thank you!!!

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 3,079
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    edited November 12
    Thanks for the post @Sunny
    I am sure our moderators can guide you @kltaylor @Marc @Pixel @rooted
    Thanks

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • PixelPixel Devon, U.K.Moderator Posts: 25
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hi @Sunny
    I assume the Google DNS is likely the most stable but as you mentioned, Cloufare is fastest- for real world performance would it likely be negligible?
    Cloudfare are also very stable and have a good reputation but, as you say, the difference in real world performance would be negligible. However, I use Cloudfare as their measured performance is “the fastest” and it’s free.
    Cheers.
    Pixel