Is my Router overloaded???

SonnySonny Member Posts: 3
Is it possible that a Router has a limit to the number of devices connected to it?
Seems that I won't have connectivity for my shop computer unless I disconnect my cell phone or one of my cameras.
Please advise.
Thanks.
Tagged:
GidsterVioletChepil

Comments

• HronosHronos Member, Beta Tester Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Sonny, some questions to get a better understanding of your situation:
    1.- How many devices you have connected to your network?
    2.- Are you using DHCP on the router to gain an IP address for your devices?
    3.- Are all your devices at the reach of the WiFi signal on a, at least, fair level of signal?
    Keep looking up!
    VioletChepil
  • MarcMarc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also the make and model of the router would help to determine how many devices it will support.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    VioletChepil
  • SonnySonny Member Posts: 3
    OK, Here is your requested information:
    Router Info:
     [email protected]™  1704 

Device Info
    Board ID:[email protected] Version:FAST1704 V1.0 (NAM)Manufacture Date:N71221015003620

Software Version:4.113.4_a4GL_WS_A2pB030lConfigId:F1704_WS_12.conf Bootloader (CFE) Version:4.113.4DSL PHY and Driver Version:A2pB030l.d22kWireless Driver Version:5.10.146.0.cpe4.404.1

Connected to the router:
    3 Panasonic Network Cameras
    1 John Deer Camera
    3 Netgear WiFi Extenders
    2 cell phones, 1 Tablet
    1 Laptop (Cable hook-up)
    When in use, up to 2 more computers (Need to disconnect my cell to get a signal)

VioletChepil
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    Some routers limits not number of devices, but rather number of DHCP assignable IP addresses (e.g. starting IP address and number of addresses in the pool). Perhaps setting some of addresses out of this pool and making them static could help.
    VioletChepil
    @Sonny your router is certainly capable of hosting a decent amount of end points.  Can you get to the DHCP configuration page of your router and see that's its set to support the full amount?  In the DHCP settings menu (See below), what settings do you see for start IP and end IP?  I've also embedded a link to the router manual above.  I'm hoping that, as @Mirekmal mentioned, that perhaps the DHCP setting is set to a low address number.

GidsterHronosVioletChepil
  • SonnySonny Member Posts: 3
    Thanks,
    Here is what my router shows for Start / Stop IP's:
    XXX...254.1  to xxx...254.253

Leased time is 65535, whatever that means.

So, where do I go from here????
    VioletChepil
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    Hm... seems to be dead end... With this setup your router shoul dbe able to assign 253 IP addresses, so it does not seem to be issue here.
    Lease time is period for which IP assigned is valid for and it is also communicated to device. After this time device should re-request IP assignment. So it is fine.
    One thing that I do not like is start point of assignable rnage. Normally xxx.yyy.254.1 should be assigned to router itself, so should be excluded from the range, but since it working (at least for some devices) perhaps it is not a problem and router is capable of handling this.
    Few more things I'd check:
    - what address is assigned to router and list of addresses assigned to all devices. How is it changing at the moment you need to reconnect devices? Is the same address assigned to 'swapped' device as to one unplugged?
    - In router LAN setup (Device Info -> Advanced Setup -> LAN); what is the network mask? Is it set to 255.255.255.0? Is LAN IP address assigned to router (same page) corresponding to same subnet and range of assignable IP addresses? Asking since xxx.yyy.254.x is rarely used... Are there any static assignment listed here? Just for curiousity, you mentioned that your IP range is xxx...254.1~254. Is xxx equal 192.168.254.1~254? 192.168.x.x is the only class allowed on consumer grade router to be used. If it is set to something different... well basicall should not work at all, unless you have respepctive IP addreses pool available to you from ISP... but the NAT should not be used, nor DHCP should be configured differently.
    - Since this is ADSL router; is it provided by your ISP or your own? As consequesne, is it running stock firmware or one developed/modified by provider. Tought question to answer, but could you compare screenshots from publicly available manual with actual screens of your router? Perhaps there is something enforced by ISP (though I've never heard about limiting count of LAN assignable IP addresses, to be honest). Asking this since lease time you provided is in seconds, while manual states that is in hours.
    - Could you check what DHCP info page states (Device Info -> DHCP) table should show all assigned IP addresses and corresponding lease times. Any anomalies here (different devices with the same IP, any device you use that IS NOT listed here)? This might indicate that one of devices has static IP set, so might go into conflict with dynamically assigned one, so it would need to be disconnected...
    Sorry for asking perhaps stupid/obvious questions, but I'm trying to rule out some simple mistakes that might go unnoticed...

VioletChepil
  • nexusnetnexusnet Member, Beta Tester Posts: 18
    @Sonny, what is the name of the manufacturer and model of the router? I could not determine that from the info I saw in the thread. Is it a 4g hotspot or wired type device? Is it supplied by your Internet service provider? Have you tried moving the other two computers near to the router instead of where they are normally located? Since they do connect, this later item is only a curiosity- but in tough situations I always like to test as many cases as possible.
    VioletChepil
    nexusnet said:
    @Sonny, what is the name of the manufacturer and model of the router? I could not determine that from the info I saw in the thread. Is it a 4g hotspot or wired type device? Is it supplied by your Internet service provider? Have you tried moving the other two computers near to the router instead of where they are normally located? Since they do connect, this later item is only a curiosity- but in tough situations I always like to test as many cases as possible.
    @nexusnet, router info and connected info was provided earlier in the thread. 

Board ID:[email protected] Version:FAST1704 V1.0 (NAM)Manufacture Date:N71221015003620
    Software Version:4.113.4_a4GL_WS_A2pB030lConfigId:F1704_WS_12.conf Bootloader (CFE) Version:4.113.4DSL PHY and Driver Version:A2pB030l.d22kWireless Driver Version:5.10.146.0.cpe4.404.1

Connected to the router:
    3 Panasonic Network Cameras
    1 John Deer Camera
    3 Netgear WiFi Extenders
    2 cell phones, 1 Tablet
    1 Laptop (Cable hook-up)
    When in use, up to 2 more computers (Need to disconnect my cell to get a signal)
    VioletChepil
    @Marc I saw that info but it is not descriptive. I also saw a screenshot- possibly Sagem? The limit of 10 units is a flag. Many WiFi hotspots and phones impose that limit without using DHCP scope.
    VioletChepil

@nexusnet , I googled the string he sent out which is how I figured out he had an adsl sagem. But I agree the 10 is interesting and wonder if his provider has somehow set a limit outside of what the configuration screen shows.

VioletChepil
    Provider limit is my suspicion.
    VioletChepil