device going online and offline

GolfSierra
GolfSierra Member Posts: 8
First Comment Photogenic
edited November 9, 2020 in Fing App #1

Hi community,

my girl friend uses an iPhone SE with iOS 14. when she is in my flat I receive online/offline alerts all the time even she IS in logged in to WiFi and uses her iPhone without any problems. Any idea why?

thanks for help

Manfred

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,802
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @GolfSierra, what your experiencing is a new feature in iOS 14 called virtual Mac addressing.  It’s a privacy feature apple introduced to stop tracking a device and for apps like Fing, makes them think a device is a new device every time it enters your network.  

What happens is that for any given SSID, the device shows a different MAC address and that can be random even on the same SSID.  Good news is that you can turn it off for each SSID.  Just go to setting, WiFi, then click on your SSID settings.  Turn virtual off.  That only turns it off for your home yet will keep it going for other SSID’s.

See this link for more details...  https://www.fing.com/news/private-mac-address-on-ios-14
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • GolfSierra
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi Marc,

yep, that's what came into my mind first too. The feature was already turned OFF by me but the problem still exists ...

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing I can think of is that the phone is going to sleep when its not active but I’ve never sent that on an iPhone.  

Or one more thing to possibly look at.  iPhone has a feature called low data mode which will use cellular data if the WiFi data connection is poor.  It’s possible her phone is flipping to that.  The feature is under WiFi and in the settings of the SSID in question.  You could try to turn it off if its on and see if this stops.
  • GolfSierra
    First Comment Photogenic

Hi Marc,

the problem appears even when she is USING the phone. That's what is so strange for me. So sleep of iPhone is not possible. Also the WiFi Connection us great as she is sitting 2 meters away from the router. The low data mode is also set to OFF already ... :)

any further ideas maybe?

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a tough one....  @Robin, @rooted, @kltaylor, do you folks have any idea what could be causing this phone to disconnect so often?
  • rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 892
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On Android there is the option for your device to disconnect from WiFi when it sleeps and I have seen something similar to this due to that but I don't have any experience with iPhone and my iPad doesn't do this AFAIK.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc @rooted
    @GolfSierra
    Can you let me know how many access points are present in your house? Have you checked when the alerts come if the device is connected to a different access point? Is the SSID name the same for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency?

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • GolfSierra
    First Comment Photogenic

I only have ONE Access Point. It's an Aruba AP11. This device sends 2,4 and 5 with the same SSID and the user has no knowledge in which frequency Band you are logged in.

but it's a good point ... maybe the iPhone always changes between 2,4 and 5

However I don't experience this behavior on my iPhone 11 Pro. Also what's confusing me is the fact that the iPhone SE 2 of my girl friend does NOT leave the network!? It (if really) only changes the bands. So going "offline" would be a wrong information anyway ...

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    @GolfSierra
    You need to check the state change time set for your devices as well.  In Range refers to multiple features on Fingbox, It can be for your own device which is under different network or the device which are not under your network(different network) but nearby (Digital Fence). Online refers to the device is under the same network and is connected. In your case, Whenever a device that goes out of range from the network(Connecting different frequency band), then after a default set of time Fingbox will alert that device as Offline if it doesn't come back in range. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • GolfSierra
    First Comment Photogenic

Short update: set the Aruba AP11 to just use 2,4GHz. Experiencing the same problem ... the Fing box reports the iPhone of my girlfriend leaving and entering the network several times per hour ...

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin

Short update: set the Aruba AP11 to just use 2,4GHz. Experiencing the same problem ... the Fing box reports the iPhone of my girlfriend leaving and entering the network several times per hour ...

Did you check the State change time if it is set for 20 minutes or less?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • GolfSierra
    First Comment Photogenic

State change time is actually set to 5 minutes