Fing-Desktop 2.2.2

Giftzwerg
Giftzwerg Member Posts: 18
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭
I noticed a strange behaviour of fing desktop, which is NOT reflected in FingBox on the same LAN: "Some Device is not able to get in network", quite regularly alternating with "All good in your network". I suspect this is a timing issue, affected are a managed switch of TP-Link (SG1016DE) and sometimes TP-Link access points (AP500, AP300). The switch at least is advertisd with "green IT", maybe it is not quick enough to wake up its dormant ports to respond to fing-desktop-pinging?
I remember, it was - falsely? - messaged by fing desktop also in earlier versions, so not specific to 2.2.2.
Fingbox V1 does not report such errors at all, sitting on the same LAN.
The platform (Lenovo T470) is likely not involved, else the annotation "not able to get in network" might also hit other clients as well.....

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,028
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Giftzwerg, I’m thinking the same thing.  The desktop has had improvements in the sleep department but there are still anomalies when it wakes up from a sleep state.  Mine often gives me the double somethings wrong followed immediately by all clear when I wake the Mac up.  @Robin, any observations that you can share on this behavior?
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I believe the notification you are referring to is the connectivity alert when your device was either in sleep mode or the Fing desktop was unable to connect to the internet. When you manually scan or refresh the network, then Fing desktop re-runs the network scan and is able to talk to its servers and run the checks identifying everything is working alright. 

The Connectivity alert is only for that particular time when Fing desktop was unable to run checks due to the device was in sleep mode or the internet was disconnected. You can always refresh the scan to make sure if everything is working alright at the current time. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc
  • Giftzwerg
    ✭✭
    As what concerns me, it's NOT overall connectivity, but one or two usually affected devices "...not able to get in network", and these devices always are TP-Link TL-1016DE or TP-Link AP500 (maybe sometmes also AP300, not exactly sure now), no others of 30+ lan devices. And the alternation also happens during continuous ON-times of the Notebook running Fing-Desktop.
    @Robin: It is true, re-running the assessment manually will bring Fing-Desktop back into normal.
    I think its a systematic mismatch between "green-IT", intermittently "absent-minded" in power-saving on some of its ports, and the Fing-scan-routines, which are too quick to declare a time-out on them.
    @Robin: what is the specific detail of "not able to get in network"? TL-1016DE is on static IP, but AP500 is DHCP client.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 #5
    Thanks @Giftzwerg
    If you remove TL-1016DE from static and assign the IP from DHCP client, does the issue persists?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Giftzwerg
    ✭✭
    Hello Robin,
    not eager to do so, because for proper order in lan, I prefer keeping firewall and main switch (and two other subordinate switches) at precise IP-addresses; I do however not believe it's correlated to fixed IP, because also TP-Link AP500 is frequently declared "not able to get in network", and this is on DHCP-assigned (dynamic) address; the common denominator seems to be a peculiar behavior of TP-Link devices; but definitely NOT all of them: the sub-switches TP-Link SG105E (have two of them, one of hw-vers 4, the other of hw-version 5) are both also on static IP's, yet are NEVER labelled "not able to get in network". And, in fact, the error message of fing desktop does not really mean the devices which seemingly not get into lan have a real problem, they work flawlessly. It's not an issue, more of a "nuisance", "false alarms".
    Now with the update of Fing desktop 2.3.0.,  I continue to watch that further, maybe it stopps or gets less.
    Greetings!
    Hartmut
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • Giftzwerg
    ✭✭
    ... just a short time after, it was AP 300 (TP-Link), an AP configured as DHCP client, not on static IP, to be declared "not able to get in network", though I cannot find an anomaly on its operations, it's online and servicing all its WIFI-clients