My Fing app says I need to connect to my network. But I am! How to solve this?

Jan
Jan Member Posts: 3
First Anniversary First Comment
edited November 6, 2020 in Fing App #1

Not connected with WiFi as indicated in the app. However, see top right, I am. Even two persons are in the network ... please solve this issue.

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,882
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi Jan,
    Are you using any VPN or firewall on your device? Are you connected via Wifi connection? 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Jan
    Jan Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment

No. I am not using any VPN or firewall on my iPhone.

Now it is working correctly again. Next time when it happens again I will check if my VPN is set.

Thanks

Robin_from_Fing
  • johny_mnemonic
    johny_mnemonic Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Same issue here.
    @Robin Why did you ask about VPN or firewall? That shouldn't matter.
    I just wanted to report a bug in the App and found this post, so I will add it here.
    The App is reporting I am not connected to network, while I clearly am. But I am also sure, that the network I am connected to, is not connected to the internet. The question from @Robin scares me as it looks to be pointing in the direction of the App being unable to work without internet connectivity, which would be really lame.
    The reason why I started using Fing in a first place is, that as an IT pro I often end up fixing network issues and broken Internet connectivity is pretty common one. Being able to easily find IP addresses of router and other devices on the network in such situation is indispensable and I always used Fing for this. It is now broken, so it is useless in more then 50% cases when I need it :-(

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Same issue here.
    The App is reporting I am not connected to network, while I clearly am. But I am also sure, that the network I am connected to, is not connected to the internet. The question from @Robin scares me as it looks to be pointing in the direction of the App being unable to work without internet connectivity, which would be really lame.

I am sorry to disappoint but Fing app requires active internet connection to work so that it can connect to its cloud servers and then provide the features. In your case, if your internet connection is not working then Fing app might show the same error message that it is not connected to internet. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • johny_mnemonic
    Sorry @Robin, but that makes completely no sense.
    First, the App doesn't complain, that it needs Internet connection. Instead it complains that you are not connected to a WiFi network.
    In case this is just a bug in an App which produces incorrect error, then please fix the bug text.
    But in case the issue is just in the App logic, that checks whether it is connected to the network by checking Internet connectivity, then please fix it to check network adapter (WiFi, Ethernet) please.
    Anyway, do not confuse users by producing error, that is misleading them to different issue.

Also there is no point in requiring the connection to your servers unless this is some shady practice to hide data collection. The only feature I can think of that objectively could be provided by your servers and not by the App itself is classification of the device types according to found MAC. And that one can definitely be skipped when the App can't connect to your servers. In case I overlooked some essential feature that can't be provided by the App, please correct me.
    There are plethora of IP scanners that works just fine without any Internet connection and Fing always worked as well in the past. I am using it for years and I am a backer of FingBox which I do like, so this is not a rant of a random user who just installed your App ;-)
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    To address your query @johny_mnemonic
    I may agree the wording can be improved that if you are not getting internet connection then it should not say "Not connected to Wifi Network" I will pass this on to our developers for review. 
    For working of Fing App, as stated it requires an active internet connection otherwise Fing app will not be able to work. This has always been the case.
    Also, to clarify on this point: 'Also there is no point in requiring the connection to your servers unless this is some shady practice to hide data collection.'

Fing is a cloud based software and as such a Fing account is required in order to deliver its functionality. Any personal information we hold about you in our cloud is used solely for the purpose of delivering and improving our service to you. With regards to Local API: it’s actually local for Fing desktop.

As a general principle we apply (and sometimes outperform) industry standards for encryption, pseudonimization, anonymization and data segregation for all personal data stored.

We do not sell, rent, or share any personal information with any external third party. All information we hold about a user is visible to the user at https://app.fing.com/app#user:account and can be deleted upon request by cancelling your account with us. For more information about our privacy policy and practices, please visit https://app.fing.com/privacy.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • johny_mnemonic
    Thanks for forwarding that bug to the developers @Robin
    There is no need to copy/paste your terms here. I am sorry, but you didn't clarify anything. Citing your privacy policy doesn't explain why would your app need to connect to your cloud servers to work. It just says that all the data your are collecting about us and our networks are handled safely.
    Could you please rather give us some examples of features that use your servers? Most importantly those that could prevent it from working when offline. Also rather then privacy , here I am much more concerned about the fact that your network scanning app is not working when user needs it the most - when the network is broken and he needs to find a reason why.

It would be much better to simply show a warning to the user saying something like "No connection to Fing.io, network scanning is limited", then completely blocking the app from working.
    Basic "IP scanner" features like device and port scanning and tools like ping, traceroute and wake on LAN are things that can't rely on your cloud servers and are able to work when offline. There is no reason why the app couldn't show basic info like IP/MAC addresses and open ports to the user.
    Do you really want your users to install competing app and use it instead of yours just because they can't rely on yours to be always working? Why creating such artificial blocks? :-O